PDA

View Full Version : Who builds Win Model 70 sniper clone?

Andy beach
09-16-2014, 07:14
I purchased two pre war Win Model 70 rifles and I want to have someone build a USMC M70 sniper rifle. Is there anyone other than Mike Lau who can build one off these?

pmclaine
09-20-2014, 05:41
Look up David Clark.

Retired Marine 2112 has his own gun building business and makes some very nice M40A1 clones. Im sure he can do for you what you want.

If you go to Snipers Hide forum someone over there will be able to give you the name of his business.

or check with GAP. Georgia Precision will make you a shooter.

Ill check back and do some research if you cant find Mr Clark.

PS Aaron Davis - 937.631.2854 has some original Unertl parts if you need any. Can also service scope. Just ordered a part for a USMC M1941 project Im doing.

Steve Earle makes the best Unertl blocks. Trying to get hold of him now for my 1903 blocks. He is apparently a busy man.

Andy beach
09-27-2014, 12:34
Thanks for the information. I have the names two others who may be able to help.

pmclaine
09-27-2014, 05:35
Ill be sending this rifle off to ChuckinDenver for Unertl blocks this week hopefully.

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af178/pmclaine/P9165956_zps912dd62d.jpg (http://s1005.photobucket.com/user/pmclaine/media/P9165956_zps912dd62d.jpg.html)

He may be another option.

Also Badger Ordnance is one of THE go to businesses when it comes to Marine Sniper rifle stuff. You may want to contact them. He owns a real collection of rifles with documented USMC M70's in inventory.

Andy beach
09-30-2014, 04:27
Thanks for the information on Badger ordinance. I need to find an Unertl 8x scope as well. I want to shoot the rifle so I am reluctant to spend the money on an original USMC scope. I thought about using a Lyman supertarget scope which seem to be cheaper and readily available. All the suggestions are appreciated as I was scratching my head on where to turn for the build

mtrpdw
10-01-2014, 02:03
You may want to check out the Hi-Lux Leatherwood website:

http://hi-luxoptics.com/product/riflescopes/malcolm-replica-scope-series/malcolm-8x-usmc-sniper/

It's made in China and around $550.00, but has been getting good reviews at the Camp Perry Vintage Sniper Rifle Matches.

pmclaine
10-02-2014, 12:21
Thanks for the information on Badger ordinance. I need to find an Unertl 8x scope as well. I want to shoot the rifle so I am reluctant to spend the money on an original USMC scope. I thought about using a Lyman supertarget scope which seem to be cheaper and readily available. All the suggestions are appreciated as I was scratching my head on where to turn for the build

The 8X Unertl will be harder to get than the rifle. Follow Ebay they come up quite often and seem to sell in the $1K range.

Ive been looking to build an 03 M1941 since I first got into rifles some 6 years ago.

The 10X target fell in my lap at $500. The tube/objective dimensions are correct, the magnification is wrong and the mounts are of a later style than the USMC typical mounts.

The Leatherwood is a sound option but everything I read recommends Steve Earle blocks and disposing of the Chicom hardware. So add $50 or so dollars in those parts. The dimensions of the Leatherwood scope do not match the USMC Unertl.

If you are going to "give" on the accuracy of your build Id go for a different mag Unertl. You will get better mounts and a better representation. By all accounts though the Malcolm mounts are serviceable and the modern build makes for a build that may avoid some issues with damp that the Unertl had. My local shop has a 14X on the shelf priced at $600 as of this am. I was in there FedExing my 1903 off to Denver for scope block install.

Keep us posted. Id love to see your build as it comes along. I considered doing same.

Andy beach
10-02-2014, 07:41
The 8X Unertl will be harder to get than the rifle. Follow Ebay they come up quite often and seem to sell in the $1K range.

Ive been looking to build an 03 M1941 since I first got into rifles some 6 years ago.

The 10X target fell in my lap at $500. The tube/objective dimensions are correct, the magnification is wrong and the mounts are of a later style than the USMC typical mounts.

The Leatherwood is a sound option but everything I read recommends Steve Earle blocks and disposing of the Chicom hardware. So add $50 or so dollars in those parts. The dimensions of the Leatherwood scope do not match the USMC Unertl.

If you are going to "give" on the accuracy of your build Id go for a different mag Unertl. You will get better mounts and a better representation. By all accounts though the Malcolm mounts are serviceable and the modern build makes for a build that may avoid some issues with damp that the Unertl had. My local shop has a 14X on the shelf priced at $600 as of this am. I was in there FedExing my 1903 off to Denver for scope block install.

Keep us posted. Id love to see your build as it comes along. I considered doing same.

I will as it comes together. I thought about the Leatherwood and I may go that route. I saw a 8x Unertl with a 3/4 tube on Ebay but it was 22" as well. I don't know how that affects the build or if the bases are closer together. :icon_scratch:

pmclaine
10-03-2014, 12:36
I will as it comes together. I thought about the Leatherwood and I may go that route. I saw a 8x Unertl with a 3/4 tube on Ebay but it was 22" as well. I don't know how that affects the build or if the bases are closer together. :icon_scratch:

I think the exact scope model is a 1.25 inch Target and it measures approx 24 inches. There is some confusion on my part about wheteher the measurement 1.25" is to the shade or the glass. IIRC my shade is 1.5". There will be no screws on the objective and the erector screws midway down the tube are flush with the tube body. The overall length can vary some based on how far the ocular is screwed in.

I posted some pics with dimensions here

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=146720

Bases should be 7.2" center to center IIRC. You are doing it right to get a knowledgeable builder involved. Marty at Badger would be a great source/reference for you.

I hope the experts will chime in to correct where I have erred.

Andy beach
11-06-2014, 05:12
Well, I bought a replica Winchester Model 70 built by Mike Lau off GB. The seller indicated it took 18 months to have it completed and he no longer needed the rifle. It has the Leatherwood scope and mounts.

I pick it up tomorrow so I'll post pictures. Now I have to decide what to do with my rifles. I may have another rifle built with the pre-war Win M70 I bought. The one I just purchased is a 1952 production. :icon_scratch:

pmclaine
11-07-2014, 01:00
Good job. Looking forward to your pictures.

Email pics of your other rifle maybe I need to buy a future project.