PDA

View Full Version : Identifying cartouche

trimmer99
09-17-2014, 11:28
I am in the process of replacing the old poorly applied varnish on my 1903 with a linseed oil finish and in the process have found a couple things of interest. I believe I can now see the remains of the cartouche. It is rectangular with sharp corners about 1/4 inch tall and about 5/8 to 3/4 inch long. The initials inside aren't readable. The serial # of the rifle is 830085 which I believe indicates mfg in 1918. Does anyone know who the inspector was at the time? Also I've found 2 repair spots where it looks like a groove about 3/16 inch wide was cut crosswise to the grain and a spline glued into the slot. One spot is at the front of the hand guard and the other at the top of the butt immediately in front of the butt plate. I am assuming that these are not arsenal repairs, that the arsenal would have replaced the hand guard. Is this assumption correct? Thanks

Rick B

Rick the Librarian
09-17-2014, 11:42
There were several inspectors in 1918 - DAL, WES. WJS, JFC and others. That would be a tough one!

dave
09-17-2014, 12:20
Any indication the rifle was ever used by a foreign nation? They are very conservative and if stock could be repaired they would do it. They even repaired their own manufactured stuff where parts would have been available. I understand/have read the US did not do so, especially with a small item as a handguard. Are the repairs professopnal looking?

trimmer99
09-17-2014, 12:44
Dave, No indication of foreigh use. I wouldn't as a carpenter classify them as professional although they were done better than I probably could. Cutting cross grain in such a thin piece of wood as the tip of the handguard without going too deep is tricky. The splines however do not match the color of the stock very well and are slightly raised from the original surface. That however may be an attempt not to sand into the original finish.

Rick, I believe the first letter may be a D. The others are obliterated. Thanks to you both for your replies. Rick B

Mike D
09-17-2014, 04:17
Sounds like Greek Arsenal repairs.

Mike

Fred
09-17-2014, 04:45
I've seen many such hand guards with several such splices each in them.

Emri
09-19-2014, 06:15
Sounds like Greek Arsenal repairs.

Mike

I'll second Mike. I've seen numerous Greek returns with the "biscuit" repairs to stocks and fore ends.

trimmer99
09-19-2014, 04:16
Pardon my ignorance but what is Greek Arsenal? Are we talking a US company or the country of Greece? The only thing I could find on the internet labeled Greek Arsenal was a gun dealer. Thanks. Rick B

09-19-2014, 04:59
Firearms returned from Greece would have been repaired at a Greek Arsenal.

trimmer99
09-19-2014, 07:06
Thanks for the info. Now another couple of questions if I may..... Why and when were these rifles sent to Greece, and why were they returned? Thanks in advance. Learning about this rifle is really getting facinating. Must be the history major in me. Rick B

Emri
09-20-2014, 05:26
Thanks for the info. Now another couple of questions if I may..... Why and when were these rifles sent to Greece, and why were they returned? Thanks in advance. Learning about this rifle is really getting facinating. Must be the history major in me. Rick B

The US loaned rifles, M1903's and M1's to Greece to fight the communist after WWII. They were returned and sold through the CMP.