PDA

View Full Version : Another SC question

RCK
09-18-2014, 05:09
Other that the bolt type with the lightly stamped X on the top of the bolt handle, what other markings may be found on "correct" Smith Corona bolts?

Allen Humphrey
09-18-2014, 07:32
Most will be marked with a "1", "2", or "8" and a punch mark on the bottom of the bolt handle. Some early production bolts were unmarked but exhibit the characteristic machining of A3 bolts.

RCK
09-18-2014, 08:03
Thanks Allen, I will be restoring a Smith Corona that had been taken out of the mil stock and put in a sporter style, no blueing, drilling or bolt bending. I have all the correct stock and band parts but didn't see the "X". I did notice the punch mark but did not examine the marks on the bolt's top of the handle. I should get it in about a week then I can verify if the bolt is "correct".

Allen Humphrey
09-18-2014, 08:49
Just to be clear, the numbers AND the punch mark would appear on the bottom surface of the handle.

RCK
09-18-2014, 02:40
Thanks again Allen, that photo sure clears it all up. I just hate to see a great rifle so close to being original and correct. I will have only several hundred M1 Carbine GI rounds invested in obtaining the sportorized version when the deal goes through. It also appears to have an original, USMC, wide front sight blade installed but I have to look closer to confirm that.

John Beard
09-18-2014, 03:26
Please permit me to clarify. All Smith-Corona bolts exhibit undercutting along the bolt body and are marked with a "1", "2", or "8" beneath the handle. Early Smith-Corona bolts have no marking atop the handle.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

RCK
09-21-2014, 04:16
Thanks John, your help is always warmly welcome!