PDA

View Full Version : M1911a1 WWII dated holster

p1987
09-24-2014, 09:55
Any tips on how to stop the holster from popping open :icon_scratch: ?

Johnny P
09-24-2014, 11:52
Some of the old military repairs consisted of sewing another piece of leather on the back of the flap and recutting the opening for the stud.

stan4
09-25-2014, 01:35
Any tips on how to stop the holster from popping open :icon_scratch: ?

p1987,

If you are using it just for display, without a pistol in it, you can try to hold the stud up and also put a little tension (to hold the bottom of the hole in the flap against the stud) on the underside of the flap. Roll up about 8 to 10 inches of bubble wrap, bend 2 to 3 inches over 90 degrees. Put it in the holster with the 2 to 3 inches at the top under the flap. If this works, you can tape the bubble wrap with brown plastic wrapping tape (so if you look inside, you see brown instead of bubble wrap). You can form a insert that is not readily visible while the holster is on display. If you need to modify the opening on the flap, and the leather around the flap is not oil soaked, you could glue a small piece of leather on the back of the slit (opening) to hold the slit closed. BARGE (or whatever you have locally for gluing leather) is a good flexible cement for leather (found at most shoe repair shops?, or amazon).

Best Regards,

p1987
09-25-2014, 02:42
Much appreciated.

Stan4, the holster will be attached to me.

JohnnyP / Stan4, does anyone have any reference to how these repairs were carried out ?

Will any repairs devalue the holster?

I have a leather worker that has told me that the work should be able to be carried out fairly easily. Stan4: I have seen the gluing technique it looks a bit tacky; but if this was how it was done, I could pass this onto my leather worker.

Best regards both

stan4
09-25-2014, 11:39
Much appreciated.

Stan4, the holster will be attached to me.

JohnnyP / Stan4, does anyone have any reference to how these repairs were carried out ?

Will any repairs devalue the holster?

I have a leather worker that has told me that the work should be able to be carried out fairly easily. Stan4: I have seen the gluing technique it looks a bit tacky; but if this was how it was done, I could pass this onto my leather worker.

Best regards both

p1987,

WHAT?

The holster will be attached to You??? I could be wrong, but most likely it will not be attached for long. The leather is over 70 years old! They make reproductions to attach to you.

I know of no references for specific repair.

If the holster is a nice display piece, then repair would most likely devalue it.

I am not aware of glue repairs used 70 years ago.

Best Regards,