PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on 1903 rifle

woo63
09-24-2014, 04:15
Good evening fellows. I am new on this forum and looking for information on a 1903 rifle that I have. I purchased this rifle from an individual while in California in about 1968. I was nin the military at the time and made the purchase with the in tent of customizing it. I never seem to have the funds to achieve that goal and now I'm glad it turned out that way. Anyway, the receiver is stamped "ROCK ISLAND ARSENAL Model 1903 #341011". The barrel is stamped SA with an ordinance below it and 12 27 below the emblem. The bolt has a "J 6" stamped on top of the bolt. It has a "C" stamped on the stock and a "s" in the mag cutout on the left side. There is a RA-P cartouche stamped to the right and below the cutout on the left side. In comparing the butt plate to the ones listed on vishooter.net, it is either the 1910-1917 or 1920-1925. I'm leaning toward the latter, although I don't know the difference. There may be other stampings but I never dismantled the rifle for any reason. Plans are to clean and restore, but will do so cautiously. Any specific info on rifle history, comments, or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

smac61
09-24-2014, 05:31
Appears to be a 1919 rifle re-barreled in '27. I'm kind of a newbie to this but, I'm sure one of the "pro's" will chime in soon to give you a lot better analysis...

Rick the Librarian
09-24-2014, 05:35
1. Your receiver dates to late 1918 or early 1919.

2. The barrel was made at Springfield Armory in December, 1927. While it is true that large numbers of late RIA receivers were sent to Springfield Armory and used as "spare parts", I believe your receiver is too "early"; the barrel is probably a replacement.

3. The bolt also comes from Springfield, and, according to John Beard's fin bolt code chart, dates to about 1920 - also most likely a replacement.

4. Although you mentioned the markings you found on the stock, you didn't mention what type it is - a grasping groove, a non-grasping groove, a full- or semi-pistol grip. The RA-P is an inspection or overhaul stamp from Raritan Arsenal in New Jersey. The "S" may or not be identifiable, depending on what type of stock.

5. The buttplate, I'm assuming is finely checked. If so, I'm not aware of any way to tell the earlier (1910-1917) variety from the later (1920-1925)one.

Pictures are always appreciated, if you can post them.

woo63
09-24-2014, 09:12
Thanks for the responses. I will attempt to post some pictures later this week.

John Beard
09-24-2014, 09:44
There's a reasonable chance you have a rifle that was issued to the U.S. Marine Corps. Pictures would help.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

woo63
09-25-2014, 11:52
Here are some of the pictures I promised. I took 13 photos and only 5 were uploaded. I'm at a loss as to why the others were not included. I had them sequenced but they were randomly loaded. Is there a limited amount of data can be added to a post?

woo63
09-25-2014, 01:51
Here are some additional photos. Are additional photos needed to make an evaluation of needed upgrade for original and determine the rifles value. Comments and suggestions are solicited. Many thanks!
Don

John Beard
09-26-2014, 06:23
Thanks for the pictures! After due study, I did not see strong evidence of U.S.M.C. issuance.

Hope this helps.

J.B.