PDA

View Full Version : Unmarked 1911 barrel-- where to find?

kb466
09-24-2014, 08:14
I have just acquired another 1918 Black Colt Repro M1911-- a recreation of a 1918 M1911 Colt. This one has quite a bit of damage to its finish on the grips, slide and frame-- looks like it was run over. I am going to refinish it by rust-bluing the frame and slide. It will also give me a chance to remove the raised area around the stamped or rolled-on lettering. I have already replaced the grips with a nice set of diamond walnut grips.

But gettiing to my question-- does anyone know of a source for a barrel that is not marked with the "-COLT 45 AUTO-" on the side or top? It doesn't have to be a Colt made barrel, but should work in this pistol and unmarked on the visible portion. I can restore the stamped "P" and "H" and can reblue it. The other thing I am thinking if I can't find an unmarked barrel is to carefully file off the "-COLT 45 AUTO-" lettering. Although the lettering looks shallow, I wonder if this is a wise thing to do. I'm concerned that it will weaken the barrel. Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on this? Thanks!
Bill M.