PDA

View Full Version : decent buy on A3-03?

trimmer99
09-26-2014, 09:01
A friend of a friend has an 03-A3 for sale. My friend, a gun dealer says it is in good shape with a barrel marked 43 and a serial # that matches. Don't know if it's a Remington or SC. I haven't been actively looking for an 03-A3 but intended to purchase one at some point. Since I haven't been looking I don't know what they've been selling for. I can check gunbroker but that takes a bit of time to find out actual selling price vs list price. He is asking $850. I know I've not given much of a description here but is this out of line? Thanks in advance. Rick B

Rick the Librarian
09-26-2014, 09:53
The devil is in the details. If in original condition with a good bore, might be a decent buy. If a mixmaster that's been around the block, might be a trifle overpriced.

Duane Hansen
09-26-2014, 11:49
For $850 it better be all original and in nice condition. Most of these rifles have gone through an Arsenal Rebuild, Even this would knock the value down to $500, give or take. Check for rebuild markings on the sides of the stock. Also like RTL said, you need to check for originality and correctness. Get some detailed, close up pictures if you can and then come show us.

trimmer99
09-26-2014, 12:06
As soon as I can get the owners phone # I'll try to get together and take some pix. If I can I'll post them here. Thanks

jonnyo55
09-27-2014, 10:10
Whenever you see the phrase "matching numbers" attached to US military rifles, you can be pretty sure that the person talking doesn't have an idea what he's talking about. Except for arcane items like M1c sniper mounts, '03 NM rifles, and Winchester shotguns, the only number stamped on a US issued longarm is the ONE serial number on the receiver. In fact, a serial numbered bolt on an '03 service rifle is usually an indication that it was returned from Greece or another recipient of US aid. The one thing you can be pretty sure of when you hear this, though, is the person making such an utterance is trying to extract as much cash as he can from you...:)

trimmer99
09-27-2014, 10:48
The owner did not mean that there were matching serial #s only that the serial # corresponded with the month and year date stamped on the barrel indicating that they were mfgd at about the same time. When I met with him today to look over the rifle he said that he wasn't really sure what he had. Unfortunately I fall in the same boat, hence my questions here.

Allen Humphrey
09-27-2014, 07:49
According to Vi-shooter page data, the rifle was serialized in Feb of 44 and is very near the end of production. The rifle is very nice, but for an overhaul rifle I'd feel better at $750 max.

trimmer99
09-27-2014, 07:58
I went just above your $750 max and went to $775. It was just too pretty to pass up. Thanks everyone for your comments.

tbone69
09-27-2014, 07:58
I just bought a very crispy Remington RRA rebuild for $700 if that helps.it was so pretty I just couldn't pass it up.