PDA

View Full Version : Sighting in

jon_norstog
10-03-2014, 08:46
I had to go back to Pocatello to work on my house a bit, so I took my Krag with me, hoping to get a little range time in. I also bought a (non-resident, ouch!) deer tag and a box of 30-40 shells.

I was able to get into the Oregon Trail Range as a guest and took a few sighters at 100m. I had a box of 220 gr handloads, a half-box of 150 gr. deer loads and the factory 180s. I usually buy green box but all they had was Winchester powerpoints. They are a semi-spitzer.

So the handloads were pretty much POA at 100 and 1 1/2" to the left. The factories shot about a foot high and 4" left! It's been years since I have fired factory ammo - the primers were mashed flat and tight. I did have one hangup where the shell did not feed and had to be cleared.

I think I'll try and chrono that factory ammo. It seems a little on the hot side. And I'll post. Elk season starts 10/10 and my brother and I are going back to the (elk-free) Lolo Zone. Paul likes it and I like hunting with my brothers, so there you have it.

I'll post in Gun Talk soon about Oregon's ridiculous, dangerous elk seasons.

jn

jon_norstog
10-04-2014, 08:34
PS Winchester lists the muzzle velocity of the 180 gr PP as 2430 fps. I really want to put that to the chronograph before I believe it.

ww321q
10-05-2014, 08:14
Thanks for the info. I need to find a place local that I can shoot at. I have several rifles I haven't fired yet. I would like to get a chronograph to check my handloads with. Good luck with the hunting. :)

madsenshooter
10-10-2014, 07:14
I bet it will be pretty close to what Winchester claims, though it would depend on the barrel length they used in testing. I'd guess the rounds are loaded with ball powder, either 760 or some non-canister powder intended to keep pressures in Krag range. Lots of cartridges for older guns, like my Remington model 14 in 30 Rem are loaded that way. Not the most efficient powder, but one that keeps the lawyers away when an old gun breaks.