PDA

View Full Version : US surcharged 1905 Ross Rifle Question

Smokeeaterpilot
10-08-2014, 06:25
Alright, I know this is probably not the best subcategory for this question. But I couldn't find anything under WWI Firearms or Bolt Action Rifles, etc.

Since the 1905 Ross was purchased by the US government for marksmanship training and upstate NY National Guard units so more 1903s and 1917 rifles could be sent to the front, I was hoping someone may be able to offer some advice.

I thought the 1905 Ross rifles didn't have a serial number but found out that the serial number is actually stamped on the receiver below the wood line so no one would be able to see it until they took it apart. (And taking it apart has proven to be complicated and a headache. So no wonder why soldiers were not allowed to disassemble them and only the armorers were allowed to do so.)

U.S. surcharged Mosin Nagants were purchased starting around serial number block 1.1 million (approximately) for NEW, I'm not sure about Remington.

Now I know the government purchased approximately 20,000 Ross Rifles and U.S. surcharged ones were marked with various markings including the obvious "U.S." and the ordnance bomb. But are there a specific serial number blocks that the Ross rifles were purchased in for the U.S. government? (like the NEW for 200k starting with serial number 1.1ish) Or would that information be long gone since the serial number was only visible when the firearm was taken apart? The stock has a serial number but didn't know if that was added so they could have a serial number more visible.

I love mine and it has the US markings, but since almost 100 years has passed. Nice to verify that the stock is original to the barreled action if possible. Gotta "trust but verify!"

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And sorry to the moderators and other members if I could have chosen a better category.

Kragrifle
10-08-2014, 07:46
Have one, but will take time to find it!

thek98sniper
10-21-2014, 03:43
I've got a U.S. Surcharged one too, but our furnace went out yesterday and it'll be a couple of days before I can get to it. I know it's original, it 20+ years ago from a fellow who told me he carried it during his National Guard railroad "guard duty" in Saginaw, Michigan during WW2. Said the first rifle he got was actually a Trapdoor so it was a welcome upgrade! I also remember him telling me if I ever had to take out the barrel and swap it out they are turned in counter clockwise (ALSO, its VERY important to first remove the screw that locks the threaded barrel in place)! Apparently they have LH rifling?

thek98sniper
10-22-2014, 09:50
Here you go, I remember having this rifle apart 10 to 12 years ago and it matched (or I wouldn't have bought it), but for the life of me I can't remember where it was located. I'd rather not to major "surgery" on it for obvious reasons, as I recall the hand guards are held on with clips and the wood pieces are like eggshells. http://smg.photobucket.com/user/herbsgunshop/slideshow/Ross%20Rifle%20US%20Surcharged

Chaz
10-23-2014, 05:52
What does "surcharged" mean? I've never heard or seen this before today.

Fred
10-24-2014, 08:03
It means Stamped with a "U.S." or "United States" or "U. States".