PDA

View Full Version : Pic question

ww321q
10-12-2014, 08:46
Whats up with the slings on the rifles of the sitting gentlemen?

Dick Hosmer
10-12-2014, 09:01
IIRC, that is a photo of a rifle team, possibly fresh off the range, and the slings were arranged for target shooting, according to the individual's preference. Until the trapdoor period, the only use of the sling was in carrying the arm. With the MUCH better long-range accuracy of the TD, the sling began to be used as a support for longer range firing, especially in the back or "Texas" position. Nothingwas really "standardized" but they were so used - this practice accelerated during the Krag years, reaching full flower in the 1903 period, when use was formalized by requiring the "hasty" sling for offhand, and the "loop" sling for kneeling (later to include sitting) and prone.

butlersrangers
10-12-2014, 09:17
What you are seeing is a way of adapting the 66 1/2 inch gunsling for use, on the Krag, as a 'shooting sling'. In earlier times, the U. S. sling (outside of using it with the foot in the 'back position") was pretty much a carry strap. Townsend Whelen advocated for the use of the sling as an aid to 'Marksmanship'. The later 1907 sling better addressed the use as an arm sling. Because of its great length, the 66 1/2 inch sling had to be threaded through the barrel-band swivel and anchored to the stacking-swivel of the Krag, in order to provide a loop in a useful spot for the left upper arm. (Photo is 1903 Army Team at National Matches at Seagirt, N.J., Townsend Whelen standing at right).

'ww321q': Are you trying to start a war? (smile)

Dick Hosmer
10-12-2014, 09:42
I think hostilities have already begun - he is just throwing a little gasoline on the glowing coals. (bigger smile)

butlersrangers
10-12-2014, 10:48
I learned long ago to turn the other cheek. I have four of them! (Moon Smile)

ww321q
10-12-2014, 05:24
I was thinking it had to do with target shooting but wasn't sure. And now I know who they are . Thanks to both of you. :) JW