PDA

View Full Version : Modern scope for A4

daveboy
10-13-2014, 07:04
I have a very nice A4 with a vintage, although civilian version, of the Weaver 2.5 power, post reticle scope. I would like to install 1" rings and try a modern production model, fixed 4 power, crosshair model scope. What current production scopes would clear my barrel and bolt handle with standard low-mount, 1" rings?

Thanks
daveboy

Emri
10-14-2014, 05:46
I doubt you will clear the handguard and bolt handle with low rings.

jgaynor
10-14-2014, 06:49
FWIW I have used a Leupold VariX III in 1.5X to 5X on my A4. The objective lens is basically the same size as the main tube (1"). Fit fine and sort of resembled a Lyman Alaskan.

relics6165
10-14-2014, 07:31
Dave:

I've been through this, your best bets to retain that vintage look in 1" are Weaver K2.5 and Weaver K3 scopes. The Leupold VXIII in 1.5x5 will also work, and will get you to 4x, too, with a little bit more modern look. In 7/8", the Lyman Alaskan is the obvious choice.

I don't think any modern scope with the end bell larger than the tube will work, and they can't be used with single split rings. If your objective lens gets too large, then you have problems with the safety. Of course, you could use progressively taller rings until everything would fit, but then you would loose that A4 "look".

HTH

daveboy
10-14-2014, 08:03
That is exactly the info I was looking for. I knew someone had to make something that would work with those standard rings.

Thanks

chuckindenver
10-14-2014, 08:20
weaver Marksman 3x9 works well,
however i have a Weaver K10 target on mine with high rings, works pretty awesome.

Jim in Salt Lake
10-14-2014, 09:22
I have a 4X Weaver J4 that would work. 7/8" tube and the objective and ocular are 1". Has a simple crosshair and you could use your present mount and rings. I think I paid $25 for it.

Darreld Walton
10-16-2014, 07:23
I managed to get a Burris 6-24X 50mm onto my A4 for a bit, but it needed to be mounted so high that it was unusable with any military stock. Perhaps with a lace on cheek piece, but I sincerely doubt it.
Jim in Salt Lake, I did mount a J4 up "for grins and giggles", and it'll go on fine in place of a 330, but isn't 'legal' for competition, and is about useless for any other pursuit you might use a 30-06 for.
I have had a Weaver K2.5 (1" tube) on mine for a couple of years, and it's a decent setup. A K4 makes a really useful combination, but clearance at the handguard can be close.

Jim in Salt Lake
10-16-2014, 10:12
Yep, the J4 isn't legal for Vintage Sniper. The rifle I used for my Vintage Sniper came with a side mounted Weaver 330. I built the 1941A1 version in the CMP rules using a Malcomb USMC replica. I wanted to go elk hunting with this rifle and I put the J4 in the side mount and used that instead. The only non-issue scopes allowed by the rules are the Lyman Alaskan and the Weaver K2.5.

jmm03
10-16-2014, 04:59
A 4 power Unertl Hawk will work using Redfield 1" horizontal split rings.

Darreld Walton
10-20-2014, 09:00
Yep, the J4 isn't legal for Vintage Sniper. The rifle I used for my Vintage Sniper came with a side mounted Weaver 330. I built the 1941A1 version in the CMP rules using a Malcomb USMC replica. I wanted to go elk hunting with this rifle and I put the J4 in the side mount and used that instead. The only non-issue scopes allowed by the rules are the Lyman Alaskan and the Weaver K2.5.

I hope that little J4 worked out for your elk hunt, Jim! Besides the J4, I've got a 440 with the silent type adjustment knobs, and while it's in really good shape, I have a heckuva hard time using either one of those 4X Weavers with my eyes! Did you check to see if the Weaver side mount bases that will accomodate 1" rings will go on in place of the stamped steel piece?

A couple of years back, I picked up a 2.5 "Alaskan", HOWEVER, this 7/8" tube scope was made circa 1989 by Leupold! It does a fair job of mimicking the Lyman of the same name, in profile, and will outperform the Lyman seven ways from Sunday, and gives the "look" on an A4! I found this one in Cheyenne in a gun shop, for $50. Probably because he couldn't mount it up on anything for lack of rings in that size! It happened that I had a set of horizontal split Redfields in that size, and it did a really nice job on my A4 for a bit, until I mounted a K2.5 Weaver on it. Last I heard, the 2.5X, 4X, and 6X Leupold "Alaskan" scopes are somewhere north of $300 asking price these days, and the Leupold rings with the same name may even be more! I've yet to find any of the rings.....BTW, the little Leupold is now sitting on a Belgian Grade I T-Bolt, and does an outstanding job there!

Jim in Salt Lake
10-21-2014, 09:31
Well, we did a lot of walking. Had cow tags and only saw bulls and deer, but a walk in the mountains beats any day at work. The J4 works well, just not as bright as a bigger tube gets you. I don't know the brand of my side mount and it will only take 7/8" tubes. I bought the rifle because of the side mount, the top of the receiver ring was still virgin for my scope blocks. The benefit is I can remove the Malcomb scope and put the side mount back on, it stays pretty close to zero, too.

Wow, that's pretty interesting about your Leupold "Alaskan." I didn't know 7/8" scopes were being made that late. These little scopes make great .22 scopes, too, don't look out of place on a little rifle. That Browning is a good home for that scope, bet it looks good! And yes, any scope that hits the CMP rule book seems to instantly escalate in price. Just look at what happened to 8X Unertl, Fecker, Lyman scopes compared to same in 10X, 12x, etc.