PDA

View Full Version : Bowie Bayonet

keith smart
10-26-2014, 03:54
Can anyone give a market value on the bowie bayonet and scabbard in excellent condition?
Thanks,
Keith

m1903rifle
10-26-2014, 04:37
$1200 - $1500

Dick Hosmer
10-26-2014, 04:47
Do you have one to sell, or are you looking to buy? You might have a look at www.gunbroker.com

I think there are three on there now, ranging from $1700 to $3500, so there is a wide difference of opinion. The $3500 guy is dreaming. Average price over the recent years seems to have been in the $2000-$2500 area. If buying, there are a LOT of fake blades out there - be careful. However, the scabbards, due to the method of construction, are almost always real - in fact, I don't believe I've ever seen one of them that I thought was faked.

A specimen has so far eluded me, except I have to say that in the 1970s, I passed on a very nice M1896 Rifle, with Bowie, for $375.00!!!! Of course, that was before I knew how rare they were, but I was buying Krags for under $100, and didn't have the money. Now, for perhaps a couple of years of enjoyment before enforced dispersal, I won't spend the kind of money it would take to get one. But, I always check garage sales - you never know! [GRIN]

Kragrifle
10-27-2014, 05:20
$2500 for a very nice one. Of course, one is unused condition will bring several times that unless, of course, you find one at that garage sale!

CJCulpeper
10-30-2014, 09:09
So what would a 1902 Bolo Bayonet go for these days if you could find one?

Dick Hosmer
10-30-2014, 11:31
I'd GUESS maybe $7500 - they basically don't exist.

Kragrifle
10-31-2014, 05:27
50 Bolo bayonets were produced in 1902 and so dated. Six more were made in 1903 and dated 1903. One of these 1903 dated specimens sold at a recent auction and the price was north of $20,000 as I remember. I have never seen a 1903 dated bayonet, but have seen several of the 1902 dated ones. A real, nice 1902 bayonet will bring $15,000, even in this market. Remember, this is not a "gun" so I would think we may start to see a disconnect between the bayonets which are not regulated and the horrible "guns" that may be outlawed into the ground.
If you are ever offered the chance to buy a Bolo, keep in mind there was at least one run of "fakes" made years ago I believe in England. I have heard these were excellent knives and hard to tell from an original , especially if you did not have one to compare. There may be another run of reproductions out there so beware. As with the Bowie (which has also been faked, but never well) never buy one of these bayonets without the scabbard. No one to my knowledge has ever been able to reproduce a good scabbard, so having this accessory gives you some protection.

CJCulpeper
10-31-2014, 09:54
50 Bolo bayonets were produced in 1902 and so dated. Six more were made in 1903 and dated 1903. One of these 1903 dated specimens sold at a recent auction and the price was north of $20,000 as I remember. I have never seen a 1903 dated bayonet, but have seen several of the 1902 dated ones. A real, nice 1902 bayonet will bring $15,000, even in this market. Remember, this is not a "gun" so I would think we may start to see a disconnect between the bayonets which are not regulated and the horrible "guns" that may be outlawed into the ground.
If you are ever offered the chance to buy a Bolo, keep in mind there was at least one run of "fakes" made years ago I believe in England. I have heard these were excellent knives and hard to tell from an original , especially if you did not have one to compare. There may be another run of reproductions out there so beware. As with the Bowie (which has also been faked, but never well) never buy one of these bayonets without the scabbard. No one to my knowledge has ever been able to reproduce a good scabbard, so having this accessory gives you some protection.

I recall seeing a sale on ebay around 2006/7 for a bolo bayonet. I got to the ad through a link after the sale. It had been advertised as a 1908 bolo bayonet with out being associated with Krags to my recollection. I believe it went some where around 1800 bucks. It was a rough looking, seen better days 1903.

Good information if I need to buy a second 1902. thanks.

I did see a british web site advertising a bowie bayonet a couple of days ago. They were honest about it saying is was a put-together using a krag handle. There was a scabbard with it. I think they wanted 900 Euros for it.

browningautorifle
11-13-2014, 08:29
Here's the admitted fake... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/US-KRAG-Bowie-Knife-/221600713711?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33986e8bef

Dick Hosmer
11-13-2014, 08:54
That one is baaaad. I cannot understand why anyone would even consider putting serious (well, to me it is) money into such an obvious fake.

browningautorifle
11-15-2014, 06:56
I might pay about $100 for that one if it fell right in my lap...but not $1000. That could be as much as half of a real one. I just wonder where the blade for the fake came from.

coastie
11-20-2014, 08:19
So...once upon a time I was living in Indianapolis. And I meet a wonderful fellow, name of Bill Flamme. I wish he was my uncle for he was a gun nut of the first and second order.
He was into Civil War, lte 1800's, and Krags. As well as the occasional whatever at the gun shows he rented tables at.
And he told me of a purchase he made at a show in a rural area of Indiana. A fellow sold him a Krag rifle. A so so purchase. But the fellow had his 10 or 12 year old son with him and Bill bought the rifle thinking he probably paid high dollar for it, him being a dealer and all.
Just before closing the fellow rushed back to Bill's table with a paper bag.
"I almost forgot, here's some ammo and this bayonet goes with it."
And he left.
Inside some 30-40 ammo, in two boxes[?], and a BOWIE KNIVE BAYONET.
This was in the mid 1970's. And I saw and fondled Bill's lucky find.
Since then Bill passed on, he had liquidated most of his stock, Cottage Industries is no more.
I have seen, since then two fakes, one well done, one not. In Houston.
[And I hope to never again spend a winter in a snow zone!]