PDA

View Full Version : Front sight cover

bobgar
10-30-2014, 11:23
I am looking at buying a front sight cover for my 1899 carbine. I have seem some that have a "C" stamped on one side and some that don't. I do not what a replica. The person who is selling it says that it was made by Springfield Armory. He said he bought it from Bannermans. Does anybody know about these front sight covers.

Dick Hosmer
10-30-2014, 11:40
I, personally, have not seen one without the "C". They are getting quite expensive and very hard to find. SA did make them, and I'm sure that, at one time, Bannerman most likely did have them in stock, so that part is reasonable.

I would steer clear of one without the "C". I'd also be leery of something that looked brand new - you want some discoloration, a few scratches, a bit of light rust, minor pitting, etc.

Given the ridiculously cheap labor in some parts of the world, the scarcity of originals, the links provided by the internet, etc. - I suspect that is a part that will be reproduced, if it has not already been so.

butlersrangers
10-30-2014, 02:43

Dick Hosmer's cautions are well advised. Expect to pay $100 to $125 for a correct Krag carbine front sight cover. Buy from a reliable source, like Joe DeChristopher, or maybe you will get lucky at a gun show. (Some people are trying to pass off 1903 Springfield protector/cover as 'Krag'). Here is a photo of the real thing.

Kragrifle
10-31-2014, 05:32
Just a note-beware of buying a carbine with one of these attached. In most of the ones I have purchased, the sight/barrel under the cover is at least scratched and at worst rusted. Be careful removing them and try to gently spread the wings of the cover as you remove it with a rod in the top loop.

butlersrangers
10-31-2014, 09:06
Were the Krag rifle front sight covers (manufactured during fiscal year 1900) and carbine front sight covers (produced in fiscal year 1901) intended for use on all Krag Models, or just for Model 1898 rifles, Model 1899 carbines, and possibly earlier Krag Models with replacement rear sights and higher front sight blades?

Dick Hosmer
10-31-2014, 09:28
While not recalling anything specific in print, I cannot believe for one second that they were ever intended to be model-specific. I am certain that they were simply protective devices to be used on all arms in the field as/where deemed necessary. The brass rifle ones will fit "school guns" of course, and I found one that will even fit (albeit very snugly) the 26" barrel of a BoOF rifle.

SA had a history of issuing sight covers - there were several versions for the trapdoor - in that case the spring-steel ones were made in two types, and the milled covers in at least three, perhaps four - and they were at least partially, model-specific.