PDA

View Full Version : Two NRA Sporters...

Fred
11-13-2014, 12:44
A buddy of mine is wanting to sell everything in the way of firearms and parts that he's collected over the past 40 odd years. Two of the firearms he's offered to sell me are NRA Sporter rifles that were among the very last production run of 29 that we're produced for The U.S. Department Of Justice in 1937. One has a Unertal scope and although cut for a Lyman peep sight, is without one. This rifle has checkering on the stock. The other rifle is without checkering and is mounted with a Lyman sight and no scope.
The price given to me for the rifle with the Unertal is $2,100.00 and the rifle with just the Lyman sight is $1,100.00
Both are in Excellent plus shape.
Their serial numbers are within 4 digits of each other
Any ideas on their current value?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/Whitedog333/imagejpg1_zpsdea75473.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Whitedog333/media/imagejpg1_zpsdea75473.jpg.html)

Jeff L
11-13-2014, 01:18
Oh my! That's quite a collection.

Fred
11-13-2014, 01:25
More...
Also 1000's of parts

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/Whitedog333/imagejpg1_zps98d485d3.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Whitedog333/media/imagejpg1_zps98d485d3.jpg.html)

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c72/Whitedog333/imagejpg1_zpsa228b7a1.jpg (http://s25.photobucket.com/user/Whitedog333/media/imagejpg1_zpsa228b7a1.jpg.html)

dave
11-13-2014, 02:43
Even has a Mossberg 42MB, even tho never used by the US military. He must be a 'Teddy" fan too!

Fred
11-13-2014, 02:51
Yea, an Autographed photo of President Roosevelt. The one on the wall is the original.
One of the 03's is an early Remington that has a 11 or 12-41 dated barrel. All correct in every way too.
Also he's letting me have his British Lend Lease Garand, with a barrel date of June or September 1941, for $2,500.00 if I want it.

John Beard
11-13-2014, 03:31
If I'm not mistaken, I believe I have some documentation from the National Archives pertaining to those Dept. of Justice Sporters. Or maybe it's just serial number data. Or maybe I'm just hallucinating....

J.B.

Fred
11-13-2014, 03:49
That's really Neat! We'll john, if you happen to stumble onto the information, please please give me a shout!
I think I ought to buy the two Sporters. Just so I can tell my wife that they're excellent investments... and I'm pretty sure they are, could you advise me on whether they're a great deal or not? You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

Fred
11-13-2014, 07:09
If anybody has an idea about these rifles, please share.

Allen
11-13-2014, 07:34
Must be your birthday again.

Fred
11-13-2014, 07:56
Nah, I'm just wanting to buy some of the items in my buddy's collection that we've shared good times over for the past 40 years. He called me the other night to tell me about his son in law taking some guns out of his house when my buddy was in the hospital with an aneurism that his son in law and daughter thought he wouldn't survive. My buddy survived and came home to find a lot of missing stuff. He got it back though but has decided to sell it all before his son in law and daughter grab it all again and head down to the local pawn shops with it.

Herschel
11-13-2014, 08:45
Fred, Check your email.

Fred
11-13-2014, 09:04
Herschel, no email there. Try PM? I'll give you my email address there.

Allen
11-13-2014, 09:20
Nah, I'm just wanting to buy some of the items in my buddy's collection that we've shared good times over for the past 40 years. He called me the other night to tell me about his son in law taking some guns out of his house when my buddy was in the hospital with an aneurism that his son in law and daughter thought he wouldn't survive. My buddy survived and came home to find a lot of missing stuff. He got it back though but has decided to sell it all before his son in law and daughter grab it all again and head down to the local pawn shops with it.

Must be bad to have a family like that. At least he got in touch with you. Good find and good luck.

John Beard
11-13-2014, 10:04
I looked in my index. I am relieved. I was not hallucinating.

J.B.

Fred
11-14-2014, 12:59
I'm Extremely interested in learning what you've got John! I can get the serial numbers of the two rifles and give them to you if you'd like.

chuckindenver
11-14-2014, 07:47
why have you not laid down the cash and taken these home??

Fred
11-14-2014, 08:23
The two NRA Sporters are I take it worth somewhat more than he's asking for them. Have you a ballpark estimate on their current collector's value Chuck? I'm unfamiliar with this no doubt rarely encountered type (2 of the 29 made). So far I've not received anybody's estimate about that or anything about them. I'll be driving back into his city in a week or so and would sure like to have an idea of what these two rifles should be worth.
The very early Remington made in 1941 has got to be worth the $1,000.00 to $1,500 that he wants for it and more. You and Rick would know about that. I think that he's wanting to sell each and everything he's got for way under what they're worth just to get rid of them. I do remember that his 03A4 with the scope has an X in front of the serial number or something like that.
If anybody wants my email to send me information, I'll give it to them if they contact me via Private Message.
Honestly guys, I sure would appreciate somebody contacting me about it all.

Kragrifle
11-14-2014, 09:36
Both of the sporters are steals at that price. I would love to hear about any Krag stuff he might want to sell! :)

Fred
11-14-2014, 09:44
Two of the 98's are just 5 numbers off from each other. I used to own both. The 96 is pristine with a minty Italian Walnut 96 stock, not the more often seen 98 stock. Then there is the converted 1892 with the tiger striped stock and the perfect bore and finish.
There is a 500 grain 45-70 bullet with a 7mm Spanish bullet imbedded in it that resulted when the two impacted in the air which was retrieved from a battlefield and brought home from somewhere. I gave him that years ago and will get it back. There is a fired 45-70 copper case from the surface of Custer's Little Big Horn fight. I think he found it on an adjacent hill or ridge.
I'm able to buy it all and might do so. So far, I've got my eye on just a select few 03's but I might get them all.
It's the two Justice Department 03's that I'm needing some guidance on. If anybody could quantify their worth, I'd be grateful.
I won't be selling anything I buy. Not for 15 or 20 years anyway, Except to anyone I feel favorably towards of course.
Bottom line... Anything I don't buy will be going to the Pawn Broker by his kids or wife. My buddy knows that he could die at any time and wants to sell as much as possible to me ASAP. I'm not looking at any profit on anything. He and I just want to get them out of his home now. I'm willing to pay him what he wants for his stuff.

Fred
11-14-2014, 11:39
OK, well with no information available on the NRA Sporters, I'll just go ahead and buy them then and sit on them. I've called him just now and have told him that the best option for him on the other stuff is for him to put it all on Gunbroker so that he can get the best price for everything. Ive no interest in it. I'll take photos of the stuff for him when I get to his place and assist him in establishing a Gun Broker account. That way he can handle it from there.

chuckindenver
11-14-2014, 04:22
i would love to own some of the other rifles...however..i told myself a couple years ago, that unless i plan on shooting and keeping something, to let someone else own it, i sold well over 300 long guns over the last 5 years, im down to less then 20 rifles that i like, and can enjoy...
the NRA sporters are a great deal, even a rough example sells for 1500.00 and up..these 2 are GEMS,

Fred
11-14-2014, 04:30
Hey, THANKS Chuck! I appreciate the information. That'll help me estimate then what these two could be worth.

StockDoc
11-15-2014, 11:14
WOW, that is nice

springfield3
11-16-2014, 09:02
Hello Fred,
PM sent
Bob