PDA

View Full Version : Date of manufacture question please

GBEAR1
11-16-2014, 08:52
Can anyone tell me what is the date of manufacture of an Inland carbine ser no approx 560000? Thanks in advance for help.

dave
11-16-2014, 09:33
Check the internet, Goggle, etc.

Mike in NC
11-16-2014, 09:34
The barrel date should give you a pretty good idea.

Tuna
11-16-2014, 08:40
About August 1943 for your serial number.

da gimp
11-17-2014, 08:44
To all you newbies, tuna just might be the best expert on M1 carbines............in the USA.

Tuna
11-17-2014, 08:56
Thanks for the compliment Gimp but I know there are experts better then me. But I will try to continue to help anyone I can with what I do have.

kidsgun
11-17-2014, 10:37
Tuna has always offered to share his knowledge. Others on this site are "senior members" that offer such advise as "check google" (when they have the requisite info/reference guides to give an accurate answer) or "check the barrel date" (with the number of rebuilds, how accurate is this advice?). I'm not making any friends, but when I ask a question, I'd like something I can use, not lip service.

Mike in NC
11-17-2014, 08:37
Checking the barrel date isn't a flippant answer. It isn't lip service. Carbines weren't always assembled in exact serial number sequence order. That barrel date can be very useful in determining when the carbine was assembled.

Tuna
11-18-2014, 08:03
Mike is right. The barrel date does offer valuable insight but it is not the only reference to date of manufacturing. Some early carbines can be off as much as three or four months for Inlands. Barrel production there was way ahead of receiver production in the first half of 1943. Later production and barrel dates are very close and most often the date of the barrel and receiver matches.

SloopJohnB
12-15-2014, 02:48
Mike is right. The barrel date does offer valuable insight but it is not the only reference to date of manufacturing. Some early carbines can be off as much as three or four months for Inlands. Barrel production there was way ahead of receiver production in the first half of 1943. Later production and barrel dates are very close and most often the date of the barrel and receiver matches.

My guess is that the "less than helpful" comment was directed at the gent who simply suggested "Google". The vast majority of folks on this forum are usually happy to help others. If you're not, then why even respond? Never have understood that.

jimb
12-18-2014, 03:32
In early production, barrel dates are often 2-3 months before the carbine was built. As later production caught up with barrel production, the barrel date was often the same as the month of production.