PDA

View Full Version : New Krag

jhog1
12-04-2014, 05:25
I just picked up a Krag. It has US Springfield 1898 on the receiver with a 22" barrel and a 1899 carbine stock. I cant find a C on the rear sight, but it doesn't look like other 1898 rifle sights I've seen. Front sight appears to be a Krag sight again not sure if its a carbine sight. If it started life as a rifle the conversion was professional and not done by Bubba. Any help as far as history and value would be appreciated.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/jhog1/IMG_20141203_225034_126.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/jhog1/IMG_20141203_225231_518.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/jhog1/IMG_20141203_225056_533.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/jhog1/IMG_20141203_225130_040-1.jpg

jon_norstog
12-04-2014, 07:02
Mr. hog,

That is a really nicely done replica carbine. It looks as if someone took the trouble to round up the correct wood and hardware. It may well have an actual original carbine barrel. You can take that shooting or hunting without worrying about damaging a rare original firearm. Do I see studs for a detachable sling swivel?

jn

jhog1
12-04-2014, 07:08
Yes there are studs. The hole in the stud faces muzzle and butt instead of side to side

jhog1
12-04-2014, 07:10
Where these Replica carbines done at a arsenal ?

Dick Hosmer
12-04-2014, 07:31
Were these Replica carbines done at a arsenal ?

No, more likely they were done in Bubba's garage. In all seriousness, no one knows for sure what was put together or where, after the arms were declared surplus and sold off, starting in the early 1900s. Such a piece would not be an official model, in any event. That said, as Jon noted, it was nicely done and should make a fine hunting rifle. That is the 1896 sight. Rifle versions are marked to 1800 yds, carbines to 2000. I'd bet yours shows 18?

5MadFarmers
12-04-2014, 08:37
I was in Bubba's garage the other day. Among the items I didn't see were a barrel of carbine barrels, a shelf of almost new carbine stocks with carbine hand guards to go with them, or a pail of 1899 barrel bands. I also didn't see the tools to rebarrel Krags.

The side plate is earlier than the receiver.

It's a rifle receiver from late in production. The stock and hand guard are obviously carbine. Very nice shape in fact. Pretty much new. If there is no cartouche on that stock, and I suspect there isn't, it's probably an unused replacement. If there is it's very low miles.

Makes me wonder if the rifling in that barrel is also pretty much pristine.

I'd suspect that was assembled from parts after they entered the surplus market. The swivels would date to later. Take a rifle receiver and screw a new barrel on it. Put it into a new stock and out she goes.

Nice gun. Not a collector but a nice gun nonetheless.

jhog1
12-05-2014, 04:11
Thanks everyone for the help. Being that is not a collector what would be a fair value for this gun?

13Echo
12-05-2014, 06:31
I'm not sure what it would be worth but if you are selling I'm interested.

Jerry Liles

5MadFarmers
12-05-2014, 09:58
Thanks everyone for the help. Being that is not a collector what would be a fair value for this gun?

There are four answers to that question with three people being required to do it right.

1) It's worth what you can get.

2) To a collector it's not worth anything. It's not original.

3) To an acquirer it's worth the sum of its' parts. So the hand guard and barrel mainly. A collector shouldn't be rebuilding guns as that would make them Bubba. For somebody just wanting to repair a carbine that's not a problem.

4) As a shooter it depends on that rifling. If, as I suspect, the barrel is about new it would shoot better than most of the carbines in my collection. Those are "desireable" from a collecting perspective but a worn out original won't shoot as nicely as a "Bubba'd" gun with a new barrel.

#2-#4 require three people to answer I think. I guess I can answer #2 and #3. To a collector, assuming they're not willing to be Bubba, "nothing" is the obvious answer. I'm in group #3. "The sum of the recoverable parts." To a shooter the value isn't something I'd know.

Except that is also kind of a lie. I'm in group #2 and #3. Sure I am. Page 143 in the good book. In bold so it can't be missed.

A "collectable" gun should not have any work done to it. "If it wasn't done in the armory/arsenal it was done by Bubba" right? Thus no work is permitted. Otherwise you just Bubba'd your gun. Now it's a Bubba special. It's missing pieces? That's the way it remains. The rules are rigid right? Strangely I follow those. I don't "correct" collectable guns. Not at all. Then again I only have a few "collectable" guns. Maybe 20?

Everything else isn't a "collectable." It's "desireable." Those you can knock yourself out with. You shouldn't do that which cannot be undone but hey, it's your gun, make yourself happy.

As to "shooters" I'm not qualified to answer. Ask Norstog. He shoots. Not a "cut" as that's a compliment.

Mark Daiute
12-05-2014, 04:59
450 bucks if the bore is in good shape. I'm a 3 and a 4 and I like the rifle. If I did not have bills I'd be willing to pay even more.

how much is one of those new bolt action rifles that are supposed to be either side of 4 hundred bucks? Guess maybe the question answers itself! To me your firearm is worth more.

RickM
12-06-2014, 10:55
I went 350 on a rifle with a sported stock and unmolested metal. I love to take it hunting but most of my chancss involve deer or elk and ranges have been 200 or more, one shot was around 660yds. While i know it is quite more than adequate at 200 it obviously doesnt have the range or punch that my m1a has. Blasphemy I know but I keep debating on scoping it.

Dick Hosmer
12-06-2014, 12:21
Not sure that I have interpreted your comments correctly, but I certainly hope you did not actually take a shot at a game animal at 660 yards with iron sights!

RickM
12-06-2014, 01:01
Lol that one was with a 7mm mag and it was very tasty. I would like to use the krag more but especially around 400 the irons are just too crude for me to be willing to put a shot on. At 300 or under no worries but chances of drawing a hunt are far and few for elk in arizona and i also dont want to injure one. I am debating on exchanging sights and putting the windage adjustable one from my 1902 on the earlier one when i hunt and then moving it back during off season.

jon_norstog
12-06-2014, 05:16
Rick, I use my Krag elk hunting but where I'm hunting, 65 yds is a long shot. I think the 30-40 with a 220 gr bullet can kill an elk way further than that, 200 yds EZ. More if you can score a heart-lung hit. I'm kind of thinking of getting a Norwegian Krag and having it barreled up in 8x57 for a bit more range. No big rush.

My own thought is that iron sights are OK up to 250-300 yds but beyond that you really want a scope sight. And a rifle with a little more reach than the 30-40.

As far as the value of the OP's rifle, I would guess uphill of $400, though I wouldn't buy it, 'cause it doesn't have a peep sight. It would make a good Cowboy Action gun, except they don't allow Ktags ( or 1895 Winchesters for that matter). If it was from Uberti, it would probably cost $2,000+

jn

jn

Mark Daiute
12-06-2014, 08:06
I fear that my earlier post may have come across as a legitimate offer and I apologize if I was misleading. What I meant was that If I was in the market for a beautiful carfle like that one I would expect to pay, would be willing to pay in the range I mentioned.

I like that rifle.

RickM
12-07-2014, 02:13
Yeah the area where i try to draw presents some very varied ranges. I found a good spot to sit up that if i get lucky will range from 400 down