PDA

View Full Version : Krag Carbine - New member

BigE
12-07-2014, 11:01
I just found this site this week and saw a thread entitled New Krag. I read the post and responses and was impressed with the information from other group members so I signed up. I have a Krag carbine that I purchased a number of years ago from a local gun dealer that I have dealt with a lot over the years. He believed this was a genuine carbine. I am not looking to sell the gun, I would just like input from anyone that has thoughts on what I have. Im not sure my pics are attaching. I'm going to submit this and see what happens. I may need to resend pictures. Thanks for your help and patience with my computer illiteracy.

BigE
12-07-2014, 11:34
Only five of my pics appeared to post with first attempt. Here are a few more.

Dick Hosmer
12-07-2014, 12:01
Nice-looking carbine. Everything appears correct except that there is a "wrong way" two-year mismatch between serial number and inspection date - it really should be 1901. When I say wrong way, I mean that a s/n earlier than the stock date could be attributed to a receiver somehow sidetracked, but vice-versa would tend to indicate a swap at some point - but which still could have been done during period of use. Change could have been made many years ago, and, outside of us Krag freaks, no one would know, and many would not care even if they did know, since the patina/wear leve is uniform, and nothing screams at you at all. As I said, very nice.

BigE
12-07-2014, 12:44
Thanks for the prompt response. I had researched serial nos a bit and seem to remember the receiver was 1901 manufacture. Never crossed my mind about the inspection date stamp. Good to know. Not sure if you can see in the photos but there is a cartouche between the trigger guard and butt stock. Does that have any significance? As you might be able to see from the pictures, the gun seems to have small amount of paint over-spray or something to that effect on it. I didn't want to mess up the patina so I haven't tried to remove it. Any suggestions?

BigE
12-07-2014, 12:54
Thanks for the prompt response. I had researched serial nos. a bit and seem to remember the receiver was 1901 manufacture. Never crossed my mind about the inspection date stamp preceding date of manufacture. Good to know. Not sure if you can see in the photos but there is a cartouche between the trigger guard and butt stock. Does that have any significance?

Dick Hosmer
12-07-2014, 01:53
If you are referring to the "P" in the circle, that signifies passage of a five-round functioning/firing test of the fully completed arm. Interestingly it had no relationship to strength, or accuracy. Proof testing was done, earlier, to the loose barrels, and accuracy was checked by occasionally (weekly at one point) pulling samples from the racks.

So far as the 'overspray', it might be removed by a once-over with fine (000 or 0000) steel wool and solvent for the metal, and some lemon oil on a rough rag for the wood. When removing the (very fragile) handguard: take off the rear sight first and slide the wood forward - do NOT "snap" it straight up! Some people like to insert a nickel and a quarter into the loose guard (at the clips) while it is off the gun.