PDA

View Full Version : 3 carbines i was looking at today - thoughts??

anton67
12-14-2014, 12:47
Hello,
First off, I know my photos suck and I apologize in advance.
All I had was my Iphone and it really sucks for photos.
Anyway a guy had 3 Carbines for sale.
He says that they have all correct parts.
He is willing to take the rifles apart and show me (match them up with the parts chart).
Anyway what I want to know is there anything you guys can spot from my crappy photos that tell you whether they have been monkied with?
Also what about the rear sites?
Have they been replaced with repro or original sites?
Lastly, any ideas on values?
FIRST UP INLAND #1

anton67
12-14-2014, 12:49
More photos of Inland #1

anton67
12-14-2014, 12:51
Next up is saginaw carbine

anton67
12-14-2014, 12:52
More saginaw

anton67
12-14-2014, 12:54
Lastly inland carbine #2

anton67
12-14-2014, 12:57
More PHOTOS OF INLAND #2

anton67
12-14-2014, 12:58
Last Photos of INLAND CARBINE #2

Tuna
12-14-2014, 06:20
All of them are put together carbines with fake rear sights and wrong parts for their serial numbers. They are at best $800 or so carbines.

cplnorton
12-14-2014, 11:44
I didn't look through all the pictures. In fact I looked at the first one of the flip sight. It is on backwards. That right there tells me the guy doesn't know anything. The tall 300 yard sight when down faces the front, not the rear. lol

I do just go back and glance at a few, I'm seeing wrong parts for serial ranges and wrong finishes on the bolts, such as parkerized when they should be blued. Just all wrong.

Unless as Tuna said they are 800 or less, Pass on all three.

The seller doesn't know much about them.

anton67
12-15-2014, 04:42
Unfortunately that is my problem too.
Can anyone tell me where I can get a nice carbine with correct parts?
I am really not looking to get a cheap one.
I really collect Garands and other US guns of WWI & II.
I need a nice example of a Carbine.

jimb
12-18-2014, 03:40
They are definately mixed parts; early on late and vice-versa. The prices are at least 30-40% too high for what he is offering. Just because all parts are "Inland" doesn't make them correct.

Faulkner
12-22-2014, 12:26

There are plenty of examples of nice carbines available. Those pictured are nice carbines. One with correct parts though, parts are parts, as long as they're USGI parts I don't know I'd get all hung up on it unless you just want a collector grade carbine.

Maniac
12-24-2014, 07:00

This Inland looks pretty good from far away and the seller does offer an inspection period: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459323460

The carbine has been offered for a while now so maybe it's overpriced?

Tuna
12-24-2014, 08:04
Well it has a wrong rear sight. Wrong slide and most likely the wrong barrel band. No way to know what is wrong inside too.

usmc69
01-03-2015, 03:31

I am willing to bet that about 98% of all carbines offered for sale have been rebuilt or at least one or more parts changed from original. Get some books (Ruth, Riesch) and read here on this site. Bottom line is educate yourself. I have had quite a few carbines in my time. I only found one that had not been putzed with, it was a 7.27 Winchester and it took me a couple of days of studying it, and reading and then asking questions before I came to realize it was genuine.

joem
01-03-2015, 07:21
This Inland looks pretty good from far away and the seller does offer an inspection period: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459323460

The carbine has been offered for a while now so maybe it's overpriced?

I'd say well over priced and it looks like the stock has a crack behind the recoil plate. IMHO $600.00 would be it but that's me.