PDA

View Full Version : Anderson "Patton" sword knife on The Rifleman..

ares64
12-16-2014, 05:17
Was watching "The Rifleman" on a recent Sat. am. at work. In an episode where some lumbermen were looking for a "renegade" Indian who did some wrong...the Indian was hiding in Lucas' barn and Mark found him, he threatened Mark w/a knife that was clearly a red handled, Anderson, of Glendale CA fighting knife, made from the hilt section of a Patton sword. I really thought that was cool....maybe a little inconsistent w/the time...but very cool. Man they could squeeze a lot of story into a 1/2 hr show back then.

fguffey
03-18-2015, 07:39
I was in Peabody, Mass. when the subject of collecting came up as in 'anything new' lately. I filled them in on a few collectables I added. They offered to remove an item from a vault if I had any curiosity. They had a General Patton small sward/stiletto complete with his name and two stars. I assumed he had one made for every promotion.

F. Guffey

Embalmer
03-18-2015, 12:18
I was in Peabody, Mass.

my home town :)

John Sukey
03-19-2015, 12:08
Just a note, Patton didn't invent a sword, he simply copied the British one. The scabbard is identical as is the blade and hand guard. There is a minor difference in the grip

fguffey
03-20-2015, 12:32
my home town :)

I was complaining about the difficulty in finding the town, I was informed it would be easier if I could pronounce it.

F. Guffey

dave
10-24-2015, 02:25
Just a note, Patton didn't invent a sword, he simply copied the British one. The scabbard is identical as is the blade and hand guard. There is a minor difference in the grip

He copied the French model and their method of using a sword on horse back. The US Cav. was trained to slash, thus the curved blade, while the French had a straight blade, held it straight like a lance and stabbed. He changed the US Cav.'s practice and was one of the top fencers in the world. Competed in Olympics and finished 3-4th, near the top. First US Officer to be named 'Master of the Sword'.

fguffey
04-23-2016, 02:54
http://www.pattonhq.com/sword.html

The small knife/sword/saber they removed from the safe was unlike any knife/saber/sword I have ever seen, it was unique and it was different.

F. Guffey

John Sukey
07-06-2016, 06:30
He copied the French model and their method of using a sword on horse back. The US Cav. was trained to slash, thus the curved blade, while the French had a straight blade, held it straight like a lance and stabbed. He changed the US Cav.'s practice and was one of the top fencers in the world. Competed in Olympics and finished 3-4th, near the top. First US Officer to be named 'Master of the Sword'.
If Patton copied the french sword, why does the blade on mine have a "broad arrow" stamp?

fguffey
08-02-2016, 07:42
They offered to remove an item from a vault if I had any curiosity. They had a General Patton small sword/stiletto complete with his name and two stars.

F. Guffey

General Patton's driver called it a stick.

F. Guffey

PhillipM
08-02-2016, 08:32
I was in Peabody, Mass. when the subject of collecting came up as in 'anything new' lately. I filled them in on a few collectables I added. They offered to remove an item from a vault if I had any curiosity. They had a General Patton small sward/stiletto complete with his name and two stars. I assumed he had one made for every promotion.

F. Guffey

I looked up Patton's promotions once. Between his regular army promotions and his army of the United states promotions, he could have had a bunch of swords made.

fguffey
08-03-2016, 08:21
I looked up Patton's promotions once. Between his regular army promotions and his army of the United states promotions, he could have had a bunch of swords made.

They only had one, Patton's driver called the one he was carrying a stick when Patton wore 3 stares.

F. Guffey

Fred
08-06-2016, 11:45

Essentially, the two swords are similar. However I can see that the Patton sword is a bit heavier and wider. The scabbard is sturdier too. I think that the 1913 (Patton) sword would be my preference to use over the British 1908 sword had I to choose one for battle.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36860&stc=1

http://www.jouster.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=36861&stc=1

John Sukey
08-07-2016, 12:03
Of course the machine gun made both the sword and the cavalry obsolete except for scouting purposes.
There was ONE US cavalry charge in WW1. They got halfway to the German lines only because the germans couldn't believe what they were seeing!

Fred
08-07-2016, 12:07
I think there was also a charge of Philipine horse cavalry against the Japanese near a peninsula where the Japanese came ashore.

fguffey
08-11-2016, 06:45
They only had one, Patton's driver called the one he was carrying a stick when Patton wore 3 stares.

F. Guffey

And when was the last time Patton was seen carrying a sword?

F. Guffey

fguffey
10-30-2017, 09:11

And his driver called it a 'stick'. I was watching a documentary on the history channel, one of his granddaughters displayed one of his quirts. Does anyone ever wonder why his driver called it a stick?

F. Guffey

fguffey
04-13-2020, 12:02

And his driver called it a 'stick'. I was watching a documentary on the history channel, one of his granddaughters displayed one of his quirts. Does anyone ever wonder why his driver called it a stick?

His driver called 'it' a stick because the driver thought It looked like a sharp pointed knife that was used to stick people. All Patton had to do was push a button to separate the handle from the sheathe.

F. Guffey

fguffey
05-26-2020, 05:59
In an interview with his driver the history channel recalled Patton was almost thrown from his jeep. The driver claimed Patton reached over with his stick and raised his helmet up and out of his eyes and then asked him if he could see better.

F. Guffey

Sunray
03-23-2021, 09:58
OP is over 7 years old.
The Rifleman was set in the 1880's. GS was born in 1885. So there was barely a Patton, never mind a sword.
GS was a bit nuts thinking swords would be used anywhere but on a parade square. However, Canadian Militia officers were told to send their swords to their Regimental armourer to be sharpened in August of 1914. So GS wasn't alone.
"...a "broad arrow" stamp..." Only indicates British Army property.

fguffey
04-29-2021, 08:03
GS was a bit nuts thinking swords would be used anywhere but on a parade square.

The driver claimed Patton reached over with his stick and raised his helmet up and out of his eyes and then asked him if he could see better.

And the stick was not a stick, to me it looked like a spiked bayonet. Patton could have been looking for the element of surprise.

F. Guffey