PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on 1903A4 scope base

radman
12-18-2014, 04:55
I have a scope base with 7/8" rings. Looks like a Redfield and appears like it will mount just fine. The only markings on the base are "SSPEC" on the underside. Does this make it special or just plain normal? Thanks in advance.

chuckindenver
12-18-2014, 05:47
commercial base, watch for newer made in China bases

Col. Colt
12-19-2014, 12:22
Most every original Redfield has some kind of marking on the right (bolt handle) side, even the later Chinese production. No markings at all? Maybe chinese or Lyman - or refinished? Some of the commercial Redfield Jr. bases don't have the GI angle cut on the rear to accomodate an Alaskan/M73/M81/M82, and require machining if that is your scope of choice.

Try the base on your reciever. if you can slide it over the rear A3 dovetail and center it on the reciever ring - and it lays down flat and looks right, flat and centered on both ends - maybe you got lucky and got a good one. If it obviously won't lay down flat, front and back - I'd say it's Chinese. My gunsmith did make a chinese one fit my 03A3 action perfectly by "twisting/offsetting" it with about six very heavy blows with a very large deadblow hammer held a certain angle in a vise - and then it did lay flat. It had a small "R" on the right front surface.

If you do a search here, some people seek out an original Redfield, some just use the Leuopold copy with the extra screw hole that also seems to fit right, some "adjust" the chinese Redfield. I eventually ended up paying a bit much for an original "GI rebuild" slate gray Lyman with the proper rear machining for a Lyman Alaskan scope, as that was what I wanted to use, and it looked "right" on my "Post War Rebuild" 03AForgery. Naturally, it dropped right on and aligned perfectly with the original vintage Jr. holes someone drilled a long time ago in this reciever. Good luck, whatever path you take. If in doubt, take the 03A3 reciever to a large gunshow and try mounts until one fits! CC

radman
12-19-2014, 07:47
You guys are the best.
Wishing everyone a blessed Christmas.

jgaynor
12-19-2014, 08:19
A Redfield Jr. model base marked "S" is a commercial base for a Model 1903 rifle..
A Redfiled Jr. model base marked "S-Spec" is a commercial base for a Model 1903A3 rifle.