PDA

View Full Version : Value on a Rem Rand like new with box

M1Riflenut
12-21-2014, 07:05
I'm looking at a Remington Rand that is like new with original box. I do not know if it is being listed as unfired but from what I can see it doesn't look like it's had much more than test firing. I've only viewed it through glass, haven't asked to hold it yet as the price tag on it is $2800. Is that too much? Sorry but no pics as I don't own a cell phone. If it's NIB vs "like new" what is the value? I'm thinking about making an offer.
Thanks,
Dave

ce28146
12-21-2014, 08:08
My first usgi pistol was a Rem. Rand in a box that looked new . I paid 2k for it and was pleased . Later I learned that the box was fake and the gun had been refinished - bringing the value to about 1k tops ! Your gun may be legit and I hope it is - just letting you know what happened to me . I purchased some books - spent lots of time on different forums and joined Scott's website m1911info.com --- knowledge is your best friend !

12-22-2014, 03:06
Seems a little steep for a RR. Have someone look at it. Or take detail pics and post here.

cplnorton
12-22-2014, 03:09
I've bought brand new condition RR for 2k. How much more the box adds, I don't know.

To me the box wouldn't add a lot. To some, it might.

But at 2800, that seems a little steep

Tdarmo
12-22-2014, 07:53
Hi
One way to tell if its been refinished is to get a jewelers loop and compare the serial number stamping to the Property of US government stamping. Serial number is applied after parkerization same with inspector stamp There are other variables as well but that would be a major start. Box should be all one color inside and out not covered on outside with different paper. Price is what your willing to pay. For that kind of money you don't want want to take a chance. There is a lot of information on the net. Do the research before you make an offer. Hope this helps.

M1Riflenut
12-22-2014, 08:17
Thanks guys for the comments. This gun is on consignment at this shop so I'm not sure how much room there is on the price. I figured it was high as it's been sitting there for at least 2 months now. I'll make an offer but can't do anything until after the holidays, sometime in January if it' still there. I found a box on GB, is this real or not? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=444226642

If it is, I would assume a box with the gun wouldn't add more than $200 tops to the price?

Tdarmo
12-22-2014, 08:54
Hi
I think that box is reproduction. Look at how the outside paper is folded around to the inside of the box. I dont think they used wax paper in the 40's. Best to do a lot of research before making an offer. I bought an unissued RR for $2300 with 1100 rounds of white box match ammo. I thought I got a good deal.

Johnny P
12-22-2014, 10:17
The box is fake, and the guy from Sparta, Tennessee is know for his variety of fake boxes.

A reproduction is advertised as just that, but when a reproduction is advertised as an original, it is a fake.

Scott Gahimer
12-22-2014, 12:58
An authentic box and minty Remington Rand is, IMO, worth $2500-3000 to a lot of collectors. Some collectors might pay more; others wouldn't pay the $2500. The biggest factor in determining value is verifying originality of the pistol and authenticity of the box and possible contents. Many will say an authentic box doesn't add that much to the overall price/value of the pistol...but I've seen them sell for much more. IIRC, a like NIB RR sold for more than $4500 on one of the big online auction sites within the last year or two. I've never paid that much for one, nor would I attempt to sell one for that kind of money in the market today. But at auction, anything is possible.

BTW, the fake box on GB is the same type Ray Willas sells (or used to sell) for $25 in the Shotgun News and Gun List magazines. And you can buy the same box through Protecta-Gun.com as just a storage box for about $10, or maybe a little more or less. I buy them by the case for my own gun storage needs.

M1Riflenut
12-22-2014, 02:44
Thanks again for the comments. I stopped by the shop again today but was unable to check it out closer as the place was so busy, I did not have time to wait that long. I'm on vacation this week plus a few local members here have offered to possibly take a look as well so I'll try and post more later this week. I also joined Scott's website, time to start learning more. I've spent way to many years on long guns, I need a change of direction..... :)