PDA

View Full Version : Krag Carbine or Cutdown?

valkyrie45
12-22-2014, 06:31
I have a guy that wants to sell me what I am assuming is a Krag rifle cutdown to a Carbine. I have only seen it once but it sounds like the OALW described in a earlier thread. The stock is refinished and has a redish tint (Red Ryder?). The stock has a rear sling pocket that has been plugged. I'm sorry I don't have any details, I am a WWII collector and havn't spent a lot of time studying the Krag and therefore don't know the details to look for. I can get specifics, I just don't know what they would be.
Assuming it is what it is, a Carbine built from a rifle, what is it worth?

Thanks for you help.

Dick Hosmer
12-22-2014, 09:00
Well, I wouldn't buy it at all, but that's just me. Basically, look at it with the thought that it is a toy for you to play with (and that is not meant in a nasty way, nor is it necessarily a bad thing to have toys) but do not look upon it in any sense as an "investment" which will appreciate - it won't. So, do not put any more into it than you feel you will derive in pleasure/fun, etc. Only you know how much is in your wallet, but if you must have a figure, then I'd say $500 absolute tops. Not only is it not a carbine, but it is an abused rifle, basically a nothing. All that said - get us some more particulars, especially Model date and serial number, if it is real, the picture changes. Don't do this in haste.

valkyrie45
12-23-2014, 07:23
Thank you! I will go back and get more detail. He is asking $450 but I would rather spend twice that much and get a collectable one. I will post more details after Christmas.