PDA

View Full Version : My 03A3, a stock question

John L. Lucci
12-22-2014, 07:20
Overall it's in great shape however the stock has what looks like a bubba repair (epoxy) that follows the grain (V shape on the right side of the stock just past the striker knob) and I'm wondering if I should set this stock aside to preserve it and get another one for shooting.. http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q219/Sirrus-Rider/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-12/20141222_205520.jpg

Opinions?? I'm thinking of getting type C stock from Brownells anyone used one before?? They're Italian manufacture.

John Beard
12-22-2014, 08:42
The repair in your rifle's stock does not appear to be detrimental to its strength. The quality of the repair, however, can vary widely, depending on preparation, method, and type of cement used.

If you intend to do extensive shooting, I believe you would be happier with a Type C stock. I will let others comment on the quality of the Brownell's stock you're considering.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.

John L. Lucci
12-22-2014, 09:32
The repair in your rifle's stock does not appear to be detrimental to its strength. The quality of the repair, however, can vary widely, depending on preparation, method, and type of cement used.

If you intend to do extensive shooting, I believe you would be happier with a Type C stock. I will let others comment on the quality of the Brownell's stock you're considering.

Hope this helps. Happy Holidays!

J.B.

Thanks John.. :)

chuckindenver
12-23-2014, 09:07
what i would do,
is remove the rifle from the stock,
relieve some of the wood behind the tang, and then check to make sure the stock bushing is in place, and nice and tight..
if missing, find a replacement, and dont shoot the rifle until its replaced.
then check the flat behind the front guard screw. that mates up with the flat bottom of the action, make darn sure that its not cracked or broken..
if it is, have it repaired or find a replacement stock...
i would avoid CMP and Boyds repro stocks... Brownells sells a nice Italian made replacement that is 10 times better fit..
or look for a Real G.i. on ebay.

John L. Lucci
12-23-2014, 08:37
what i would do,
is remove the rifle from the stock,
relieve some of the wood behind the tang, and then check to make sure the stock bushing is in place, and nice and tight..
if missing, find a replacement, and dont shoot the rifle until its replaced.
then check the flat behind the front guard screw. that mates up with the flat bottom of the action, make darn sure that its not cracked or broken..
if it is, have it repaired or find a replacement stock...
i would avoid CMP and Boyds repro stocks... Brownells sells a nice Italian made replacement that is 10 times better fit..
or look for a Real G.i. on ebay.

The mark in the flat area of the stoke is crack; however, as best I can tell it's not deep.