PDA

View Full Version : Puzzling 03 Mk1 and 03-A3 reload doesn't fire question

1903nm
01-25-2015, 01:11
Maybe I'm just dumb but twice this week I had two of my reloads that failed to fire on their first attempt. I have loading thousands of rounds for our Garands, our M1-A and Springfields in the past and never seen this happen. The only variable is the fact that I am loading once fired Greek brass. After the rifle justs clicks (sounded normal both times), I waited for several seconds and slowly ejected the rounds. There was no dents in the primers or any liitle marks telling me the striker even hit them. I usually use commercial brass so that might be a clue. If they both didn't fire on the second attempt then I don't know what I would think. Anyone else ever heard of this kind of problem? Thank you.

bruce
01-25-2015, 03:49
Like you, I have been handloading ammunition for use in 03 and 03-A3 rifles since 1980 and have never had the sort of problem you describe. With respect, given that there is no indication of any strike of the firing pin on the primers, you probably need to dismantle the bolt and see if there is a problem w/ the firing pin. Unless the brass being used had the shoulder pushed back a great deal, it is unlikely that a normal firing pin producing normal protrusion would fail to at least leave a mark on the primer of a loaded round.

Griff Murphey
01-25-2015, 06:32
The only comparable experience I ever had like this was a Browning copy of the Winchester 1886. It would often misfire when temperatures dropped below 32 degrees. It was dead as a door nail about 27 degrees F or lower. I once warmed the rifle over a trash can fire at a lever action match to make it work. I assumed it was either grease interfering with the firing pin travel or too close tolerances. Browning never said what they did but they fixed the problem.

Art
01-25-2015, 07:24
This is timely....

I took my '03A3 to the range the week before last with some handloads, the brass was once fired Lake City and the primer was Winchester LR. One round failed to fire, I pulled the striker knob back and hit it again, no joy. The primer was very deeply dented. First .30-06 dud I've ever had, commercial, military surplus or reload.

PhillipM
01-26-2015, 02:26
I had a misfire during a match and disassembled the cartridge. The CCI BR2 primer was empty, had no compound in it. I can dig up the pic of the primer if I have to.

Kurt
01-26-2015, 09:12
Maybe I'm just dumb but twice this week I had two of my reloads that failed to fire on their first attempt. I have loading thousands of rounds for our Garands, our M1-A and Springfields in the past and never seen this happen. The only variable is the fact that I am loading once fired Greek brass. After the rifle justs clicks (sounded normal both times), I waited for several seconds and slowly ejected the rounds. There was no dents in the primers or any liitle marks telling me the striker even hit them. I usually use commercial brass so that might be a clue. If they both didn't fire on the second attempt then I don't know what I would think. Anyone else ever heard of this kind of problem? Thank you.

The only time I had a similar problem was with my Ruger M77 I have had since new since the 70's. For the first 25 years it was flawless, then randomly would fail to fire, 1 in 20 rounds. It has shot hand loads all it's life. Primers were dented (in my situation) and repeated attempts on the failed round would not ignite. I sent it to Ruger and they replaced the firing pin spring which only they could do,(liability issues and spring problems) another story. It still failed and at the same rate when I got it back. I put up with this and when it failed on hunting trips, I just jacked another shell in and went on.
Recently I was discussing this with a gunsmith I know and he wanted to take a look at it. I brought it in and he determined that the firing pin was on the very minimal side of enough protrusion. He put the striker in a lathe and ever so much reshaped the tip to allow it to protrude the correct amount. I've never had a failure since. This gunsmith is a target shooter and explained how a primer not struck enough will often never go off after that. Once the web is dented, the primer no longer functions ignition wise and becomes a dud.

You stated that your primers don't have any indents, ie, striker marks. That being the case, you have an issue with the firing pin or striker. One or the other is hanging up inside the bolt sleeve. A bent striker? Hardened grease, broken? Spring binding? I would first pull the guts and inspect all in that area as well as the inside of the bolt itself. I think you'll find your problem.

Kurt

Major Tom
01-27-2015, 03:49
Never "grease" the firing pin or springs ever if you shoot in cold weather. Or even in dusty, blown sand conditions. Very light oil film is all that is needed.

Darreld Walton
01-28-2015, 07:21
Dad said that in the Korean winters, they'd clean their weapons with gasoline, and then run them "dry", as the lightest oil they could find would still gum up and cause FTF's.

joem
01-28-2015, 07:34
I've found only 2 primers that had no anvil installed in them. Very rare I guess but it does happen.

Kurt
01-28-2015, 09:04
Per the OP, "There was no dents in the primers or any liitle marks telling me the striker even hit them."

That would rule out a primer malfunction and confirm the striker never made the trip. He also indicates that they did fire on the second attempt apparently after un-chambering and then re-chambering. He doesn't say out of how many, not that it makes a difference unless the count was two.

I'm under the impression that he was shooting a Mark 1 and an 03A3. Did one fail in each or ? Is that what he was shooting?

More info would help.

Kurt