PDA

View Full Version : M9 pistol might be on its way out

Shooter5
02-02-2015, 09:36
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/01/11/beretta-m9-desert-camo-400-million-army-contract.aspx

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/tech/2015/01/21/army-delay-handgun-solicitation/22120459/

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/tech/2015/01/16/beretta-knocks-army-m9/21826217/

It's about time, the M9 is based on a 1930s design and its time to modernize.

joem
02-03-2015, 12:26
Perhaps they should go to a .40 cal with extended mags.

Tuna
02-03-2015, 07:17
It will NOT be anything but a 9mm. The US being a NATO member cannot change handgun caliber. They have no choice but to stay with the 9mm as that is the NATO standard and NATO is not about to change. Do not be surprised if they wind up staying with the M9 too. If they change handgun types then they have to change all of the equipment that goes along with it not counting the cost of the changing over from the M9 to a new one in the maintenance of it will be very costly. Right now the budget only allows for testing of different weapons and not the changing over to a new one. No money no new handguns.
Why the Air Force will have to give up a couple of new jets. The Army a few new Tanks and the Navy a small ship or two just to pay for the new guns.

da gimp
02-06-2015, 08:00
I'd be surprised if the total costs for a new pistol to be issued for the US military wouldn't be way less than what one fighter jet costs.............

Art
02-06-2015, 12:15
The United States Military is so broke now, not to mention overextended I can't fathom the 'gubmint buying a new pistol. Heck, I thought it was stupid to replace the M1911, not because more modern designs weren't out there but because if any small arm was to be replaced it should have been the rifle. The idea of a new rifle has been run up the flagpole several times but no new rifle. I suspect it will be the same with this.

Shooter5
02-13-2015, 07:35
Yes, there have been a lot of pistol programs cancelled over the years so its unknown how this one will turn out. I wonder if its got some political angle with the government of Italy?

In my view, 40 or even 45 caliber is viable despite not being 9mmNATO. 40 is the caliber of choice for Law Enforcement and some DOD units use it. It would be high time to switch.

http://www.armytimes.com/story/military/tech/2015/02/11/army-declines-m9a3-upgrade/23243689/

bruce
02-15-2015, 06:18
Re: Changing pistols. Granted it will be a 9mm which is fine. But, the cost of dumping the Beretta and going with another pistol is not such a big deal. All they have to do is contact Glock and order the G-17. It'll do anything that needs to be done w/ a handgun and do it without a lot of problems due to ammunition, etc. :-).

Tuna
02-15-2015, 06:46
There is a problem with Glock's too as to the NATO 9mm. It is not as bad as it was a number of years ago when the Glocks were blowing up because of the unsupported case heads. Turns out that the Glocks have a problem with very high round counts just like the M9 has and I suspect just about every handgun made for the 9mm does. The NATO round is loaded to higher pressures then standard ammo. It just seems to be hard on any firearm it's used in over time.

The 40 S&W is slowly but surely being dropped by Police departments around the country. Police are going to 9mm again or back to .45 acp. and again it's the firearms not being able to withstand a lot of firing of the .40 as it's already loaded pretty much to the max by the factories. And quite a few police officers and mostly female officers have been having a hard time shooting the .40 S&W well. So between the people who can't shoot it well and the damage to more then a few of the standard issue firearms it's slowly dropping off in sales. Many of the wholesales who take in used police guns have a lot of used .40 S&W pistols to sell and even then the 9mm versions seem to sell a lot quicker then the .40's. When the panic buying was at it's peak there was still lot's of .40 S&W ammo available but that was about it. No .45 or 9mm anywhere but could still get a lot of the .40. It is just not quite as popular as it used to be.

Shooter5
02-16-2015, 11:51
Re: Changing pistols. Granted it will be a 9mm which is fine. But, the cost of dumping the Beretta and going with another pistol is not such a big deal. All they have to do is contact Glock and order the G-17. It'll do anything that needs to be done w/ a handgun and do it without a lot of problems due to ammunition, etc. :-).

Glocks are already in DOD Inventory;

Ex:
NSN: 1005-01-571-9875
Nomenclature: Glock 19 9mm pistol

dave
02-16-2015, 05:47
Replacement pistol is a rumor going on 2-3 years now!

joem
02-18-2015, 06:01
"When the panic buying was at it's peak there was still lot's of .40 S&W ammo available."

That's what prompted me to go to .40. Plenty of brass and bullets.