PDA

View Full Version : Rem 03-A3 trigger guard/housing

dlc_aec
02-06-2015, 01:09
hello all,

ive recently came into a rem 03-a3. i havent found a part yet that isnt remington. but! (theres always a but), the trigger guard housing (no markings, btw). now i must tell you the stock does have arsenal refurb markings, and this leads me to think the previous owner was working on correcting the rifle. however, most of the parts appear "factory".

now, my question.... lets say the rifle hasnt been messed with (yes, a big assumption, stay with me here). did remington ever put the older style housing on their rifles? the one that you can pop the floor plate to remove the bullets?

thanks for the info!

douglas

the_1st_sgt
02-06-2015, 01:51
I will chime in but will defer to the experts on this. Since you say there are no markings on the guard I would say that it was added by a previous owner. I suppose there is a slight possibility that Remington COULD have put a milled TG on an A3 if the rifle is very early in the A3 production run, but not probable. Remington marked all of their TG's on the rear portion of the trigger bow (can't remember if right or left side). However, IIRC, late production 03's were being sent out with stamped guards. Hope this helps.

Mike

John Beard
02-06-2015, 09:52
No! Remington did not put older style trigger guard housings on M'03-A3's.

J.B.

Highpower
02-09-2015, 07:21
And if there is no "R" stamped on the bow of the trigger guard chances are more than likely it is SA manufactured.

http://highpower.smugmug.com/Firearms/RemingtonSC/Remington-03/i-3c7QdRp/1/XL/IMG_1951%20-%20Copy-XL.jpg

emmagee1917
02-09-2015, 09:53
Many 03A3s went through " rebuild " at Ogden and were just inspected , stamped " OG" , and placed into storage . Some needed repairs and those were rebuilt . I would think the previous owner replaced the trigger guard for ease of unloading after the hunt or to " stiffen " the action in the pursuit of better accuracy .
He might have replaced the issued stock with one that had been on a rifle that did go through a rebuild , maybe to preserve the minty original stock from nicks and dents , and they got separated.
Chris

dlc_aec
02-09-2015, 08:24
thank you all for your help. the info has cleared up some thinkings ive had.

im going to bet that the trigger guard was replaced at ogden and not by the previous owner. he was a collector, not a hunter (at least with 03's).

thanks again,
douglas