PDA

View Full Version : Ammo for 1912 Norwegian Krag Carbine?

6kidsdad
03-03-2015, 07:31
Hello all. Just put on lay a way a Norwegian Krag Carbine, dated 1924. 6.5 x 55 chambered. Finding lots of conflicting advice on using ammo for a Swedish Mauser. I do not reload, so looking for commercial made ammo. I have also seen 6.5 gallery ammo, which I assume would be ok, but not much velocity. What do you guys recommend?

Liam
03-05-2015, 04:57
Obviously, get the Swedish milsurp ammo if you can find it. I could never seem to locate more than a box or two. Then, I went to Prvi Partisan (Serbian) ammo. Was fairly cheap and widely available. Started reloading, using the once-fired Prvi brass, and never looked back. Some reloading manuals have separate sections - one for data on newly-manufactured arms, and one for milsurp arms. I do not differentiate between my 2 Swedish Mausers and my Norwegian Krag when loading, except for bullets. My Krag is over 100 yrs old and the lands and grooves have seen more wear than my Mausers. Therefore, I load it with heavier, therefore longer, bullets with a flat base to give more surface area for the lands to "grab." Seems to work for me.

Liam
03-05-2015, 05:03
Found this string using the "SEARCH" feature in upper right of screen: http://www.jouster.com/forums/showthread.php?24887-6-5x55-swede-ammo-advice&highlight=norwegian
HTH - Liam

Sunray
03-09-2015, 10:20
6.5 x 55 is 6.5 x 55. Factory hunting ammo isn't cheap though. Prvi starts at $17.99 for 120 grain ammo. Lapua crazy expensive, starting at $81.99 per 20 for 140's. Hornady, Remington and Federal are on No Backorder. Winchester's at $32.49. No milsurp listed.
These'd be the guys to listen to most about ammo.
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1260751506

jon_norstog
03-10-2015, 12:07
6 kids dad: You probably should just reload. If you are worried about blowing the rifle, well load it down a bit. Everything I've heard about the Norse Krag is that it is safe with factory ammo. OTOH, if you aRE punching paper, why use hunting loads?

Good luck!

jn

Plain Old Dave
03-10-2015, 03:55
6 kids dad: You probably should just reload. If you are worried about blowing the rifle, well load it down a bit. Everything I've heard about the Norse Krag is that it is safe with factory ammo. OTOH, if you aRE punching paper, why use hunting loads?

Good luck!

jn

While made of better steel than US Krags were, the NK is slightly weaker than a Swedish Mauser. I have seen data at Gunboards indicating spec on 6.5x55 NK is @40-45K PSI; Norwegian members have indicated cracked recievers traced back to excessive use of 6.5x55 SE. Handload using lower to midrange loads. Your brass will last longer and your loads will in all probability be more accurate. The single most accurate US Krag load I have ever found is a starting load of the given powder behind a 220 FWIW.

6kidsdad
03-10-2015, 06:18
Appreciate all of the replies, and feel free to keep them coming! Seems like even though it was designed for the same round, the Krag just might not be as strong.

coastie
03-15-2015, 02:19
"Most" commercial U.S. manufacture is OK.
I have had no problems with mine.

[found I have 4? Must have a multiplying problem with my storage of the Norwegians !]

Now If some one has a source of 8x58DR that does not cost an arm and a leg
and is not mismade from another cartridge...let me know. please.

6kidsdad
03-18-2015, 02:58
Did a little bit of research, and found that PPU 6.5 x 55 measures about 2500 fps out of the muzzle. Found an old NRA publication about old military rifles, and it showed the muzzle velocity of the old round nose Swedish ammo at 2380 fps. Does not seem to me like a big difference, but I could be wrong.

madsenshooter
03-19-2015, 03:10
No, not much different, considering the weight difference in the bullets. I have found their bullets to measure .263", that will keep pressure down too. And, the powder of the PPU is likely slower than the old military powder, also keeping the pressure down. Be wary of rough throats in old milsurps!

ranger66
07-03-2015, 07:53
You should not use a 6.5 x 55 factory loading in a norwegian Krag unless it states that it's made for the Krag. Most factory loadings are too hot and you will destroy your rifle. As far as I know there are only two companies that make factory loadings for the Krag. This one from Raufoss: http://www.dfsnettbutikk.no/products/ra-65-skan-super-sierra-93g-770-msek
And this one from Norma: http://www.dfsnettbutikk.no/products/norma-sierra-93g-780-msek

When it comes to reloading, I don't do that myself so I'm not in position to give any advice, but there are duscussions on it on several gunboards.