PDA

View Full Version : John Beard?

Dan Shapiro
03-07-2015, 03:13
I'd be interested in any comments/observations on this.

Grasshopper

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=470893822

Rick the Librarian
03-07-2015, 04:46
I'm not John, but the markings are "added" and certainly not original.

Dan Shapiro
03-07-2015, 05:05
Rick, what about the numbers on the receiver ring? Where the originals round off and these added?

John Beard
03-07-2015, 08:24
I don't quite know what to make of the rifle.

My best guess is that the rifle is a recent put-together by Bubba. The "B" on the floorplate and the biscuits in the handguard apparently came from a CMP Greek rifle. The bolt sleeve/firing pin assembly came from a Smith-Corona M'03-A3. The presence of parkerized parts (upper band, bolt) clearly date from the post-WWI period at the earliest. The handguard was originally manufactured during the very late WWII period. And the buttplate came from a Remington M'03-A3. And the parkerizing on the buttplate indicates a post-WWII refinish.

I am unable to determine if the receiver was originally unmarked, or whether the original markings were removed. A personal examination with measurements would be required to make that determination. And the serial number is anybody's guess.

All the preceding observations strongly suggest that the stock markings are fake.

In summary, it appears that Bubba "G.N." became creative with some letter stamps and an assortment of leftover parts from his scrap bin.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

p.s.,

I will add that, based on the stamping depth, the receiver has been annealed or was never hardened.

Dan Shapiro
03-08-2015, 07:19
Thanks John!

Jeff L
03-08-2015, 06:49
The "GN" is modern, the letters are not serifed.

chuckindenver
03-09-2015, 07:58
big POS>..and not legal to own...altered serial number...