PDA

View Full Version : 03A3 Drill Rifle Re-Conversion

robh5
03-12-2015, 06:10
Was offered a Remington 03A3 that was re-converted from a drill rifle. Will see it this weekend. Supposedly all the parts from the drill rifle conversion have been replaced with correct Remington parts, and the weld removal on the cutoff was done extremely well. Was told rifle shoots very well. Price is $400. Does this seem fair, if everything looks good on the rifle?

Mike H
03-12-2015, 06:31
Did they change the barrel?

robh5
03-12-2015, 06:41
I was told that it was re-barreled with a NOS WW2 Remington barrel.

Col. Colt
03-13-2015, 02:15
If as described, I'd jump on it! You might want to pull it out of the stock and verify that the barrel/reciever weld, if present, was not large and ugly.... That would change my mind - otherwise it sounds like a deal! CC

Dave in NGA
03-13-2015, 06:18
It's worth the sum of its parts. I don't believe you can purchase the 'parts' to put together a complete rifle for $400.

holdover
03-19-2015, 05:33
just noticed this, I convert drill rifles to both shooting 30/06 and into 22s. If offered for 400 and converted back with all USGI parts it is a great bargain. You states NOS WW2 barrel, on ebay and most other places that is 175-200 alone, then add bolt, TG, stock etc etc you could not buy the parts for that price. As to being a good shooter, they will work well. The only real question is how big a weld they did on the barrel/Rec interface and the cutoff and was the new barrel installed correctly and head spaced. Some welds were real sloppy. I have converted over 100 of them and only use ones with small welds.

p246
03-19-2015, 05:47
Pretty much agree with everyone else. If as described and the weld bothers you then break it down for parts. I have restored two that had very light welds. One shoots well. The other embarrasses alot of my new guns. Its at 300 plus round count with no sign of stretch and head space has remained

robh5
03-19-2015, 06:20
just noticed this, I convert drill rifles to both shooting 30/06 and into 22s. If offered for 400 and converted back with all USGI parts it is a great bargain. You states NOS WW2 barrel, on ebay and most other places that is 175-200 alone, then add bolt, TG, stock etc etc you could not buy the parts for that price. As to being a good shooter, they will work well. The only real question is how big a weld they did on the barrel/Rec interface and the cutoff and was the new barrel installed correctly and head spaced. Some welds were real sloppy. I have converted over 100 of them and only use ones with small welds.

Saw the rifle over the weekend. They did a nice job with the weld at the cutoff. Did not get a chance to take it out of the stock to inspect the barrel/receiver weld. They said the rifle shoots well. Stock is not very nice. Had been painted white at one time, then scrapped down.
Hoping to see it this weekend and take it apart. Finish on the receiver is very thin.

Marine A5 Sniper Rifle
03-28-2015, 08:31
I converted one using a new USMC barrel and a C stock. It is a tack driver and a pretty rifle to boot. It cost me more than $400 to convert.

jt