PDA

View Full Version : Springfield manufactured RIA?

CPC
03-16-2015, 08:19
I picked this rifle up yesterday and thought I would ask a few questions before I completely tear it down so I'll know what to look for. I've read Ferris and the chapter with information provided by our esteemed forum member (JB) but need some additional help before I completely break down the rifle for inspection. I looked in Brophy, Campbell, and Canfield but they do not provide much additional info other than production numbers. Unfortunately I thought I had Crossman but it could still be packed in my pro storage.

The rifle is a RIA 414K rifle with a SA 8-29 brl. It fits right in with RIA transferred receivers from what I can tell. The rifle appears to be unused after it went through rebuild. The lightly struck O.G.E.K. still looks fresh on the scant stock. Any brown you see was caused by my flash and is old grease, there is no rust on the rifle even though it may appear that way. The bolt after wiping it off (after pics) is a black color and the face looks unused. Any comments on the finish and how close (other than the stock) it could be to original production would be greatly appreciated. Would it have had a C (1929) or an S stock and who would have been the inspector? Cut Off is marked R, I assume refinished Remington part. The trigger group and floor plate have a dark finish and match the receiver in color, milled follower, etc. It could be a parts gun from WWII and that's fine, but it has a good feel and it is in a between war era of production that I am not very familiar with. If there is any interest I can post more pics if requested.

Regards,
CC

Smokeeaterpilot
03-16-2015, 11:35
That's a good looking SA/RIA hybrid!

Stock should be a SA DAL correct? I'm still learning about this era.

Fred
03-16-2015, 12:08
Neat rifle.

Rick the Librarian
03-16-2015, 01:25
Looks like barreled receiver fitted with mixed parts during WWII. The stock usually fitted was a grasping groove stock; the most common inspector was SADAL (one line in relatively large letters).

John Beard
03-16-2015, 03:02
I picked this rifle up yesterday and thought I would ask a few questions before I completely tear it down so I'll know what to look for. I've read Ferris and the chapter with information provided by our esteemed forum member (JB) but need some additional help before I completely break down the rifle for inspection. I looked in Brophy, Campbell, and Canfield but they do not provide much additional info other than production numbers. Unfortunately I thought I had Crossman but it could still be packed in my pro storage.

The rifle is a RIA 414K rifle with a SA 8-29 brl. It fits right in with RIA transferred receivers from what I can tell. The rifle appears to be unused after it went through rebuild. The lightly struck O.G.E.K. still looks fresh on the scant stock. Any brown you see was caused by my flash and is old grease, there is no rust on the rifle even though it may appear that way. The bolt after wiping it off (after pics) is a black color and the face looks unused. Any comments on the finish and how close (other than the stock) it could be to original production would be greatly appreciated. Would it have had a C (1929) or an S stock and who would have been the inspector? Cut Off is marked R, I assume refinished Remington part. The trigger group and floor plate have a dark finish and match the receiver in color, milled follower, etc. It could be a parts gun from WWII and that's fine, but it has a good feel and it is in a between war era of production that I am not very familiar with. If there is any interest I can post more pics if requested.

Regards,
CC

Answers are as follows:

(1) Your rifle's receiver is indeed one of those transferred from RIA to SA in 1926 and finished at SA. The barrel date is matching, thereby indicating that your rifle likely has its original barrel.
(2) The finish on your rifle appears to be WWII-vintage re-Parkerizing. The original Parkerizing had a slightly different tint, judging from your pictures.
(3) S-stock. Unboxed "S.A.D.A.L." or any active Ordnance arsenal or depot inspection stamp from that period.
(4) You assume correctly.
(5) It is indeed a parts gun from WWII. But I like it and it would be an asset to most collections.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

CPC
03-17-2015, 08:32
JB, et-al,
Thank you for the comments. The bolt is unmarked as far as I can tell. In the same ref they state that RIA supplied bolts, etc., could this possibly be the original bolt, though unlikely if the rifle has been refinished? Since there is a little difference in the hand guard color I was thinking there could be a slight (really minimal) chance that maybe the only thing changed was the cut off and lower stock. I only considered this because I have seen many OG cartouched rifles that appear to have minimal or no changes made to them. I believe Canfield even highlights that in one of his books. But JB has brought me back to reality. I bought it because it is a nice rifle and as JB confirmed, it could possibly be one of a few thousand uncommon grouping of M1903 rifles manufactured in the late 20's. A bonus surprise.

Thanks to all that provided input.
Regards,
CC

John Beard
03-17-2015, 08:41
JB, et-al,
Thank you for the comments. The bolt is unmarked as far as I can tell. In the same ref they state that RIA supplied bolts, etc., could this possibly be the original bolt, though unlikely if the rifle has been refinished? Since there is a little difference in the hand guard color I was thinking there could be a slight (really minimal) chance that maybe the only thing changed was the cut off and lower stock. I only considered this because I have seen many OG cartouched rifles that appear to have minimal or no changes made to them. I believe Canfield even highlights that in one of his books. But JB has brought me back to reality. I bought it because it is a nice rifle and as JB confirmed, it could possibly be one of a few thousand uncommon grouping of M1903 rifles manufactured in the late 20's. A bonus surprise.

Thanks to all that provided input.
Regards,
CC

Your rifle has been overhauled, refinished, and re-assembled from mixed parts. The only likely original part remaining from 1928 is the barrel.

Your rifle is not one of the O.G. re-inspected mostly-new rifles.

Hope this helps.

J.B.