PDA

View Full Version : gas cylinder assistance

duke133
03-20-2015, 02:12
I came across an Inland 6 digit rifle I could not pass up for the price. When I broke it completely down I discovered the gas cylinder screw (?) was loose and it screwed completely out. I figured since it all came out I'd clean it all but was wondering how to secure the screw back now that everything is cleaned. Is the a specific way to do this or does it just screw in tightly and maybe with a little tap using a punch to make sure it's tight. I have never seen one just move when it was touched before.

Dan Shapiro
03-20-2015, 04:59
'...just screw in tightly and maybe with a little tap using a punch...."

That's what I did when I cleaned up two CMP M1 carbines for the grandkids. So far, no problems 3 years later.

Tuna
03-21-2015, 05:07
Just remember that you do not use too much force to tighten up the castle nut. Too much and you can crack the gas housing. If you do crack it the only thing then is to replace the barrel. People have tried everything from glue to welding but none of it holds and will finally let go. So just make it secure and don't be heavy handed when tightening the nut down. Now once it is tight if it wants to loosen up again then you have to stake the nut in place. This was done many times by the military but then after if the nut had to be removed the nut will often strip and has to be replaced so just be careful with it.

duke133
03-21-2015, 05:14
Anything wrong with using a little locktite blue or red or just do the hand and a love tap?

Tuna
03-22-2015, 06:57
Don't do that. IT can let go with heat. Best to just sung it up and use it.

duke133
03-22-2015, 05:27
OK. Cleaned, put back in place and snugged up.
Thanks everyone.