PDA

View Full Version : Bolt disassembly/assembly tool

IditarodJoe
03-22-2015, 02:19
I want to buy a carbine bolt disassembly/asembly tool and have found "new made" versions offered through Sarco ($22.50+S&H), Numrich ($28.05+S&H), and Fulton ($39.95+S&H). Has anyone here found any problems with any of these? Just go with the lowest price?

Dan Shapiro
03-22-2015, 04:13
Can't comment on them. Purchased a couple from Bill Ricca (US GI issue).

Tuna
03-22-2015, 05:21
They are about as good as the USGI set. I have used a couple in the past with no problems at all with them. Use them the same way you would with the USGI ones. Price wise I think they are all made by the same overseas company.

duke133
03-23-2015, 05:09
I purchased 2 over the years, one commercial but can't recall from where and the other from Bill. The tab on the commercial one broke the first time I tried to use it but Bill's is still going strong if that helps any.

duke133
03-23-2015, 07:29
This brings up a question from a long time ago maybe someone can address. Before I owned the tool I was told it really did not matter which way the plunger went in if you used a spent cartridge in the chamber and let the bolt drop on it then eject it a couple times. The plunger would seat itself properly after one or two times. I noticed it did work but back then I preferred not to take a bolt apart because I did not have the bolt tool and it was a real PITA. Anyone know if this method causes any problems down the line? I would think maybe the pin would break if you did it too often but I'm not sure.

Johnny P
03-28-2015, 12:04
As to the tools, I have a GI but ordered three of the cheapo's from Sarco to save the GI, and am still using the first one. Haven't had any problems.

IditarodJoe
03-28-2015, 06:40
Thanks all. I contacted Bill but he doesn't have any so I ordered one of the copies from Sarco. We'll see . . .

hansong
03-29-2015, 02:35
Here's a source for the GI bolt tool:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/M1-Carbine-Assembly-Disassembly-Bolt-Tool-ORIGINAL-U-S-WWII-/290674249614?pt=FR_JG_Collections_Militaria_Access oires&hash=item43ad890f8e

Cheers,

hansong

Tuna
03-29-2015, 07:07
Just remember to not force something with the tool. You may have to make an adjustment so the ejector is pushed in far enough. The parts that go between the extractor and the pin have to be lined up just right to be sure it works correctly so don't rush it and it will work fine for you.