PDA

View Full Version : Building an M14/M1A Video Series, Part 2: Barrel and Bolt Install, Chamber Reaming

TonyBen
03-24-2015, 02:45
This is a video documenting my first M14 (M25) build. Different people have different methods of getting the same job done. This video demonstrates how a hobbyist with minimal equipment can go about building their own M14 in their garage. I may have missed a small thing or two, but these are the basics.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck4Tp9EeOrU&feature=youtu.be

Tony.

Jay Johnson
03-26-2015, 07:44
Thanks Tony, very informative video as always.

I wanted to see the barrel shoulder lapping tool in action, I know you didn't need it on this build, but until this video I thought the only way to take down the barrel shoulder was on a lathe. Where did you get the tool?

SMOKEY
03-26-2015, 05:13
Thanks Tony

TonyBen
03-26-2015, 05:39
Thanks Tony, very informative video as always.

I wanted to see the barrel shoulder lapping tool in action, I know you didn't need it on this build, but until this video I thought the only way to take down the barrel shoulder was on a lathe. Where did you get the tool?

It was a piece of scrap metal from work. You just add lapping compound to the shoulder and put the tool over the barrel threads and turn it on the shoulder. Go slow and firm and make sure even pressure is applied to the whole shoulder surface, otherwise, you can lap one part of the shoulder more than the other.

I actually used it before the video and took 16 degrees off the shoulder before I gave up and had the remaining 14 degrees taken off by my friend with a lathe. I've got to fix and add some things and I'll probably re-post the video again with an edited version.

Tony.