PDA

View Full Version : Interwar M1903 production?

tinydata
03-27-2015, 11:20
I've been searching on the internet but I haven't come across a definitive answer. Did production of standard military M1903 rifles continue beyond 1927? I've seen claims that only NM and NRA sales rifles were produced but I keep seeing interwar receivers with properly dated barrels.

Thanks in advance for clearing the confusion

John Beard
03-27-2015, 03:19
I've been searching on the internet but I haven't come across a definitive answer. Did production of standard military M1903 rifles continue beyond 1927? I've seen claims that only NM and NRA sales rifles were produced but I keep seeing interwar receivers with properly dated barrels.

Thanks in advance for clearing the confusion

No. Production of new standard service rifles ended in SA Fiscal Year 1927 which ended June 30, 1927. All new rifle production after that date was for sales or the National Matches.

But production at SA by no means ended on that date. Tens of thousands of rifles were being turned in each year that required overhaul. And a very high percentage of those rifles were low number rifles that required both receiver and barrel replacement. The Army had adopted a policy in 1927 that low number rifles turned in for overhaul would have the receivers (and barrels) scrapped and replaced. So SA continued receiver and barrel production along with most other parts, almost without interruption. So most rifles issued from SA after 1927 had a new barreled receiver and mixed refurbished parts taken from earlier rifles that had been turned in for overhaul.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

Roadkingtrax
03-27-2015, 03:25
JB,

Is there any identifiable way to identify a pre-WW2 rifle from Springfield? Did they just re-use stocks as well?

I wonder if a new 1903 receiver and barrel, married with all pre-WW2 parts in excellent condition is any indicator.

John Beard
03-27-2015, 05:34
JB,

Is there any identifiable way to identify a pre-WW2 rifle from Springfield? Did they just re-use stocks as well?

I wonder if a new 1903 receiver and barrel, married with all pre-WW2 parts in excellent condition is any indicator.

A new 1903 receiver and barrel, married with all pre-WWII parts in excellent condition, along with the appropriate SA inspection stamp, is indeed a good indicator of such rifles. And they did indeed re-use stocks as well. But, I must point out that SA was not the only facility doing overhauls during the interwar period. All Ordnance facilities were under the same orders to scrap low number receivers (and barrels) turned in for overhaul. So a very high percentage of SA receiver and barrel production was shipped to other arsenals and depots in the Ordnance system. So such interwar rifles can bear the inspection stamp of any Ordnance facility engaged in overhaul during that period.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

John Beard
03-27-2015, 07:15
Just to be clear, serviceable barrels were not scrapped during overhaul. However, the overwhelming percentage of rifles turned in for overhaul had the barrels scrapped. Indeed, that's why the rifles were turned in for overhaul. Almost all other damage could be repaired in the field. Nevertheless, a few older barrels occasionally passed inspection, were re-used, and mated with new current-production receivers.

J.B.

Roadkingtrax
03-27-2015, 07:56
So a very high percentage of SA receiver and barrel production was shipped to other arsenals and depots in the Ordnance system. So such interwar rifles can bear the inspection stamp of any Ordnance facility engaged in overhaul during that period.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

It does, the one 1903 I shoot on occasion, is one that represents that from Benicia Arsenal.

I suspect this is a WW2 overhaul stamp however.

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd281/ttraxler/16-MAY-12/16-MAY-12025.jpg (http://s223.photobucket.com/user/ttraxler/media/16-MAY-12/16-MAY-12025.jpg.html)

Rick the Librarian
03-28-2015, 05:31
John is right about barrels usually needing replacement. On one 10,000-rifle lot sent in for overhaul, 85% of receivers were of the low-numbered type, but **91%** of the barrels needed replacement!

John Beard
03-28-2015, 08:35
I just remembered that, when the U.S. entered WWII, a quantity of rifles was assembled, mostly from leftover parts. Who and where those rifles were assembled remains a mystery.

J.B.

Rick the Librarian
03-28-2015, 09:15
John, would that be the rifles with the LHA inspection stamps on the stocks?

John Beard
03-28-2015, 01:13
John, would that be the rifles with the LHA inspection stamps on the stocks?

No. That would be the rifles with the "A.H.A." inspection stamps on the stocks. :icon_lol:

J.B.:hello:

Rick the Librarian
03-28-2015, 01:29
That's what happens when you go by memory! Nine days on the Ore./Wash. coast will do that to you!! LOL!

tinydata
03-28-2015, 02:13
John Beard and Rick, thank you very much for your information.

Rick the Librarian, do you have a source for the rates of barrel replacement? I'd be interested to read more documents like that.

Rick the Librarian
03-28-2015, 03:19
Yes, it was taken from an article in Army Ordnance Magazine by Lt. J.E. McInerney entitled "Overhauling the Service Rifle". It was reprinted in a book I have on manufacture of the M1903. It may be available if you try Googling the author's name or maybe the name of the article. Quite interesting.

PeteDavis
03-28-2015, 07:25
And so I wonder how so very many so-called low numbered rifles survived to the present day. Such rifles in a rebuilt state are ubiquitous at gun shows in my region. Often with WW2 barrels, a time frame during which I suppose the directives for scrapping single heat receivers were suspended in the war effort.

John Beard
03-28-2015, 07:38
And so I wonder how so very many so-called low numbered rifles survived to the present day. Such rifles in a rebuilt state are ubiquitous at gun shows in my region. Often with WW2 barrels, a time frame during which I suppose the directives for scrapping single heat receivers were suspended in the war effort.

Springfield Armory manufactured about 250,000 new receivers to replace low number receivers that were scrapped during overhaul. But a significant quantity of those scrapped low number receivers got resurrected as Sedgley and Bannerman rifles. And you are correct. The practice of scrapping low number receivers ended in 1940 or 41.

J.B.