PDA

View Full Version : Saginaw S'G', what am I looking at?

M1Garandy
03-29-2015, 01:54
I examined an interesting Carbine today.

Saginaw S.G. in the 3,540,000 S/N range

Saginaw barrel with unmarked milled front sight with a groove behind the blade and a TI band with a swivel marked Q-?K or Q-?R (it was hard to read).

The rear sight was the flip type and marked with an S on one side. I forgot to check the other side of the sight or the leaf for markings.

Slide marked SG

Blued flat bolt marked SG

Trigger housing milled, unmarked with a SG marked hammer (in the white) unknown trigger & sear (didn't take it down all the way) an unmarked push safety with concentric rings and a E-SG marked magazine catch with an M on the end and blued pins and hammer spring plunger.

Handguard is marked RSG

Stock is low wood oval cut marked SG in a box with an Ordnance wheel on the right side as well as RSG, 105E and O in the sling well. Recoil plate is marked SG.

The Carbine in question was also wearing a nice marked (unreadable) WWII C-tip sling.

I'm not really a Carbine guy but this one is the first early featured unit I've seen in a long time that didn't look like it was put together yesterday. It appears to have been in the current configuration for quite some time.

I think the asking price was in the $1,200-1,300 range.

No pictures I'm afraid.

Thoughts and opinions?

Thanks.

Tuna
03-29-2015, 07:03
You have a lot of contradiction to the make of your carbine. Some parts indicate S'G' while others say S.G. What is stamped on the receiver? S'G' or S.G.?

M1Garandy
03-30-2015, 04:57
Tuna, I called the seller and asked him to double check the poor notes I took. I've updated my original post but I can't change the original thread title.

Do the updates clear anything up?

M1Garandy
03-31-2015, 10:38
Updated with new/corrected info.

Tuna
04-01-2015, 08:54
Everything is saying it is an S.G....except for the barrel band. S.G. used unmarked bands and all were the type 1A. The one you asked about is most likely Q-TK which would have been made for Quality Hardware. I can't find anything saying that barrel bands were sent to Saginaw Gear from Quality Hardware on lateral support. So how it came to be on the carbine is anybody's guess. The stock and hand guard are correct and the stock was made for S.G. Other then the band it sounds right but with the odd band I would try to use that to get the price down some.

M1Garandy
04-01-2015, 10:25
Thanks Tuna.

To further clarify, the swivel is marked, not the band itself. What about the unmarked safety?

Thoughts on a good/fair price?

Thanks.

I almost forgot, does anyone have a good picture of the correct/original cross pin staking on a Saginaw front sight?

Mike in NC
04-01-2015, 05:39
The original SG front sights that I have seen had the small stake marks that were something like the Rock-Ola staking, only didn't extend as far horizontally as the Rock-Ola staking. Swivels were "lost" all the time, in wartime and afterwards. Also a chance the swivel was lost at some point and someone replaced it with whatever was at hand to make it work.

M1Garandy
04-01-2015, 05:47
I'm afraid that I don't know what original Rock-Ola front sight staking looks like either. Any chance you have a picture or could post a link?

I have no trouble with the idea that the original swivel was lost for some reason and the first replacement unit found was used.

Mike in NC
04-01-2015, 06:27
I don't have a picture handy. A Rock-Ola staking looks like you took a flat screw driver blade that was about twice as wide as the front sight pin and left two dents 180 degrees apart from each other. The few original Saginaw stakings that I have seen have very short dents or lines that extend from the sight pin hole. Sometimes you see one on each side of the hole and sometimes only on one side.

There is a picture of two staking methods on this website: http://www.uscarbines.com/barrels02.html

The one with the horizontal staking looks like Rock-Ola staking to me. Something less wide would be what to look for on a Saginaw S.G.

M1Garandy
04-01-2015, 06:55
The front sight on this Carbine is staked as you describe/as pictured in your link. I'd not seen that before, thanks.