PDA

View Full Version : correct cartouche 1903 mk1?

GBEAR1
03-29-2015, 05:56
What would be the more correct cartouche for 1903 mk1 made 1919? DAL in box or AAJ in box? Thanks

Smokeeaterpilot
03-29-2015, 06:14
I'd say whichever stock has the correct cutout for the ejection port.

IditarodJoe
03-29-2015, 06:45
My mid-1919 Mk 1 has a WJS cartouche.

John Beard
03-29-2015, 10:06
"D.A.L." in a box. "E.H.D." in a box even more correct. "A.A.J." in a box completely incorrect.

J.B.

GBEAR1
03-30-2015, 03:56
John. Im not challanging you here but I am curious because Clark Cambells book does list AAJ in box 1918 to 1920. The rifle Im looking at has AAJ in box. The only thing is that the box and letters are a bit larger than the typical size of the DAL in box. It is a MK1 stock and the catouche and P proof mark match with a lot of age and wear. What do you think. Thanks again.

IditarodJoe
03-30-2015, 05:18
John - I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the boxed W.J.S. cartouche. This came on a rifle that I received directly from the CMP. It has the mark I cutout. The only other marking on the stock is a small, non-serifed proof P.

John Beard
03-30-2015, 03:11
John. Im not challanging you here but I am curious because Clark Cambells book does list AAJ in box 1918 to 1920. The rifle Im looking at has AAJ in box. The only thing is that the box and letters are a bit larger than the typical size of the DAL in box. It is a MK1 stock and the catouche and P proof mark match with a lot of age and wear. What do you think. Thanks again.

I am aware of Clark's classification of the "A.A.J." inspection stamp and believed it for many years. But then I learned better. "A.A.J." is the inspector at Augusta Arsenal that Daniel A. Leary from Springfield Armory trained in 1920. That was the year in which small arms overhaul and inspection facilities were established at Augusta Arsenal. If you will look closely, the proof mark is the early style script encircled "P" that was sent from SA to AA, since SA had discontinued using it in 1917.

Mark I rifles were issued for tests and trials in the early 1920's. And some were apparently returned to Augusta Arsenal for overhaul and placement in Ordnance stores. The rifle is not unique.

Hope this helps.

J.B.

John Beard
03-30-2015, 03:12
John - I'd be curious as to your thoughts on the boxed W.J.S. cartouche. This came on a rifle that I received directly from the CMP. It has the mark I cutout. The only other marking on the stock is a small, non-serifed proof P.

"W.J.S." is indeed a known inspector of Mark I rifles.

J.B.

IditarodJoe
03-30-2015, 03:25
Thank you for the confirmation, John. As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

It's been my understanding that the identity of inspector W.J.S. is still unknown.

John Beard
03-30-2015, 06:36
Thank you for the confirmation, John. As always, your input is greatly appreciated.

It's been my understanding that the identity of inspector W.J.S. is still unknown.

You understand correctly.

J.B.

GBEAR1
03-30-2015, 06:47
John. Would that be the reason the rectangle around the AAJ is larger than the typical car touche dimensions?