PDA

View Full Version : National Beauties

jebbh
04-19-2015, 09:33
Recently joined a small S. Calif Gun club which once had very thriving CMP match program which we are trying to re-energize. I volunteered to clean and oil the match rifles, many of which probably hadn't left the safe in many years. I don't know a lot about NM rifles, but boy was I impressed. Of the 10 about 7 barrels gauged almost new at throat and muzzle. All timed perfectly. One was 6-digit pre war, one mid war and the rest late rifles, including two 6 millions. The DAS stamps were crisp and the wood nearly perfect. I noticed each had a piece of tape between the handguards. Was that common? One had a gas cal. lock nut set up I'd not seen before. It was cut through the top with a hex screw. see photo. We have three more CMP matches (very user friendly) this year. Shooters welcome: http://www.brearifleandpistolclub.org

bruce
04-19-2015, 10:35
Wonderful that the program is being restarted! Rifles sound like they should be ideal to help folks build marksmanship skills. The hex screw gas cylinder lock alteration is new to me. Looks like a good idea. Have fun at the matches! Sincerely. bruce.

Ted Brown
04-19-2015, 11:34
Interesting, but not legal for CMP/NRA competition, gas lock modification. No external modifications allowed under either organizations service rifle rules.

Griff Murphey
04-19-2015, 06:35
My experience is that these details are seldom policed at least up to state level. I've seen hooded apertures on rear sights and those were let go by... Obvious glass bedding... And no, I'm not talking about unlimited class. I seriously doubt anyone is going to say a thing about that hex nut.

Phil McGrath
04-20-2015, 12:19
My experience is that these details are seldom policed at least up to state level. I've seen hooded apertures on rear sights and those were let go by... Obvious glass bedding... And no, I'm not talking about unlimited class. I seriously doubt anyone is going to say a thing about that hex nut.

The hooded rear aperture is apart of the NM/2A system and is CMP/NRA SR legal and glass bedding is a internal modification too the stock so it too is CMP/NRA legal for SR. These NM rifles were loaned too clubs for ATC Matches long before the CMP games came along and the little bolt is not legal for CMP's as issued or Unlimited Garand either. Local Club and fun Matches where they can be over looked is one thing. But if you use it in say a State Championship or a Leg Match and if you should shoot well enough too place expect too be disqualified when they inspect the rifle and you score is tossed out.

Don't believe me, ask someone you trust that shoots a M1 ATC and they will tell you the same thing...

da gimp
04-20-2015, 06:13
outstanding on re-building your clubs program... Pay heed to Ted Brown, he's one of the 5 best Garand smiths in the USA, as is Dean of DGR the major sponsor here at Culvers CSP.

If you can get some Bushie AR 15s for the younger shooters, they'd do better with the lesser recoil, but with California's weirdo gun laws, I'm not sure if a club there can even loan out rifles like ours do here..........

musketjon
04-20-2015, 12:20
When I first started reading the OP's thread, I thought to myself, '' Those sound like the rifles from the old Brea Rifle and Pistol Club,'', then to see the BRPC website at the bottom of his postings sure brought back wonderful memories of shooting with the BRPC. I was a member there for several years but when Unocal kicked us off the property back in '89 I let my membership lapse as going to Lytle Creek just wasn' t, and still isn't in the cards. My ex's uncle was one of the original founders of the club. I was assistant HP Director when I left the club. Those were some fun times, and the Friday night trap shoots were second to none. I have a Riker case full of medals won at the Brea Club, way back when. Thanks for the memories.
Jon '' musketjon'' Turner

BTW--to the OP-----we never had a thriving CMP program. We did however, have a thriving DCM program. That's where I qualified for my DCM '' one per lifetime'' M1 rifle, and yes, I still have it and still shoot it.

Griff Murphey
04-20-2015, 08:31
Obviously someone thought I was talking about NRA High Power Service Rifles or CMP Unlimited class. I have seen a lot of stuff get past in the "regular" CMP "as issue" class and that was what I was talking about.

I'm sure this is not true at Perry or major regional CMP shoots. it is true in my experience, but of course that likely varies across the country.

jebbh
04-20-2015, 09:14
Hello Musketjon, right you are, Brea Rifle and pistol club. Brooks does a fine job of running the matches. It is a bit of a drive, but hope to see you at one of the CMP matches, no need to be a member to shoot. The next match is May 30. Membership has dwindled, if we don't get more people out we may not be able to carry on in coming years. With all the rifles Big 5 & Turners have sold, surely there are shooters out there.

Jay Johnson
04-20-2015, 09:19
It's the same at our club, Griff, I see a few globe front sights on M1 SR's almost every shoot.

Cosine26
04-23-2015, 05:16
The hooded rear aperture first appeared on the NM/2 on the 1962 NM M1. The NM/2A was a slightly improved version of the NM/2 windage base and first appeared on the 1963 NM M1.
NM = windage base with 64 tpi threads
/2 = base with a clearance cut to allow the hooded aperture to be turned all the way down.
A = slightly improved "/2" base.
FWIW