PDA

View Full Version : Service Pistol caliber question, please

glindes
04-20-2015, 03:33
Gents, I was in a local gun shop today and heard the owner explaining to a customer that the Super 38 cartridge IS popular with people from Central and South America because it IS a military caliber there and people are more familiar with it.

My understanding was, that the Super 38 IS popular from C & S American because it is NOT a military caliber and civilians want what they can own and are familiar with.

Perspective, please. Geoff

Mike in NC
04-20-2015, 04:44
You are correct and the gun shop owner is full of huuey (sp?). I know several people who retired in Central America and could only bring in weapons that were not in the common military calibers and brought in things like AR-15s that were chambered in 222 instead of 223 / 5.56. Pretty sure 9mm and 45 ACP are the rule for auto loading military pistols in Mexico, Central America, and South America.

John HOLBROOK
04-20-2015, 06:55
When I used to work the gunshows in Texas and even in Washington State at every show several Hispanics would ask me if I had any Super 38s.....

ignats
04-20-2015, 08:22
I've met a number of gun shop owners who think they know everything just because they own a store that sells guns. Most have a rudimentary knowledge of things but also spread quite a bit of manure as well. The Super 38 is real popular South of the Border because it is not a military cartridge and is pretty powerful - greater than a 9mm Luger.

glindes
04-20-2015, 08:43
Thanks guys! Great help here always!

http://i61.tinypic.com/2hf842e.jpg