PDA

View Full Version : Krag Restoration comlpete

Shawn Agne
05-03-2015, 09:13
Here are the pictures it is done. Need to replace the front sight as I only had the 92/96 front blade. Rifle itself was manufactured in 1903 and saw service down in the Panama area. Was given to the USN in 1943. All parts restored to original finish of Oil black, Rust blue (Browning as per Springfield), or Nitre blue. Not bad for $75 from the CMP as Krag junk. All parts are original accept for the stock.

http://i.imgur.com/pHbFxTk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gxOCFxs.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O3tK4Nj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2PzE5cD.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Ub449w6.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/l5ZPJ2g.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/c5FrMYy.jpg

jon_norstog
05-03-2015, 10:54
Nice work Shawn! You should write a note about the restoration and put it under the buttplate so future owners will understand how this fine rifle came to be.

jn

Shawn Agne
05-03-2015, 11:07
Good idea. I've restored my entire Krag collection and Trapdoor collection. This one had the barrel relined and going to shoot it this year at Perry.

StockDoc
05-03-2015, 12:09
Wow, that is a very nice job, love the furniture. Hard to believe the CMP considered that junk, well done job.

Shawn Agne
05-03-2015, 01:41
Wow, that is a very nice job, love the furniture. Hard to believe the CMP considered that junk, well done job.

Well all I got from the CMP was the barreled receiver.

butlersrangers
05-03-2015, 02:04
Nice job Shawn. Could you explain more about the barrel re-lining (who & where and expense involved)? I have a Krag that deserves a new bore.

Shawn Agne
05-03-2015, 02:11
I sent it to Bobby Hoyt (1-717-642-6696) he is known for doing a lot of musket barrels, hes cut and stretched my M16, M55, and M63 barrels. The lining is hammer forged and comes out of KY shoots VERY nice as I had thrown this barrel on my other M98 before I started. I don't remember what the total cost was but I believe it was cheaper than getting a new barrel. He drills the old barrel out and then presses the lining in. Give him a call and he can explain it more.

Dan Shapiro
05-03-2015, 03:29
Great job!

butlersrangers
05-03-2015, 06:45
Shawn: Thanks for the contact info. on Bobby Hoyt.

Shawn Agne
05-03-2015, 08:22
I enjoy doing it, if anyone would like their Krag restored I'd be open to doing it.

Mark Daiute
05-04-2015, 09:17
any before photos?

What is the groove diameter of the re-lined barrel?

Bobby re-lined an 1898 Carbine for me, nice job but the groove diameter is well in excess of .310.

Shawn Agne
05-04-2015, 10:27
Hi Mark,

Not sure on the groove diameter. Only before photo I have is after I had polished all the metal parts out in the white

The receivers were chromed when I got them from the CMP and rest the parts were your average looking Krag parts as far as finish.

http://i.imgur.com/4ZAvWSq.jpg

StockDoc
05-04-2015, 10:57
So at a 50,000 psi chamber pressure the 30-40 is not considered a hi pressure round?

Or have they advanced to the point of redo the hi pressure barrels. If so that is great.

IditarodJoe
05-04-2015, 12:53
Shawn, what was your method for polishing the parts?

Shawn Agne
05-04-2015, 02:01
StockDoc not sure what you are referring to at 50k psi. 40k psi is all the higher you want to go, I think my 125gr load is around 30-32k according to quickload. The 175 load is around 36k. 50k your going to shear off the lug and possibly destroy the action as the Krag action is "Brittle" just like the early 03's why it is so slick.

IditarodJoe,

I have the felt polishing wheels I use with the various grits, but also will use the felt wheels on the dremel and for the places where I cant get that to work i use the good old stones. The polishing is the most time consuming part.

Fred
05-04-2015, 02:49
Outstanding! :1948:

Dick Hosmer
05-04-2015, 09:08
So at a 50,000 psi chamber pressure the 30-40 is not considered a hi pressure round?

Or have they advanced to the point of redo the hi pressure barrels. If so that is great.

Was that Norwegian Krag data by any chance? Their action design is a bit different in that the safety lug on the bolt is designed to bear. Also, they are made of - if not better, at least more predictably heat-treated - steel. They will digest "hotter" ammo, loaded for the Swedish Mauser, with no real issues, though a steady diet of such would not be recommended. US Krags should be kept at 43K or below - 40K being a prudent choice. They can be safely loaded awfully close to (factory) .308 Winchester performance - no deer could tell the difference.

butlersrangers
05-05-2015, 06:48
Shawn: Your efforts are especially with merit since you started with plated 'drill rifle' ugly parts. You made a silk purse out of a Sow's ear! What was the source of your Stock and Hand-guard?

Shawn Agne
05-05-2015, 07:40
Actually only receivers were chromed. The barreled weren't which I thought was strange. There is a local place that dipped them and removed the chrome off the receivers. Rest of the parts were from standard issue rifles. The picture I posted with all the parts shiny were after the metal parts had been polished out

psteinmayer
05-05-2015, 02:21
Beautiful job Shawn!

If you're shooting at Perry this year, what day/relay are you planning on shooting? I'm shooting Vintage on Sunday AM relay with Bob Wolfe (madsenshooter) and my son. We'd love to have more Krags squad with us.

Shawn Agne
05-05-2015, 03:38
Paul,

I can't remember if I'm shooting 03 in the morning and Vintage in the PM or vice versa. I'll have to check.

psteinmayer
05-06-2015, 03:35
Ok... let me know. Bob and I would love to have more Krags shooting in our ranks! :1948:

Shawn Agne
05-06-2015, 05:45
I just checked I'm 03 in the AM and Vintage in the PM. So I believe if I did it correctly I swapped it so I'm shooting vintage in the AM now. Will be a fun time before NRA MR and LR

psteinmayer
05-08-2015, 08:07
Sounds great! Bob and I will check up as it get's closer to July and we'll figure out a muster point so anyone who wants to squad Krags together can meet up.

StockDoc
05-08-2015, 08:43
Yes it was, Dick
Was that Norwegian Krag data by any chance? Their action design is a bit different in that the safety lug on the bolt is designed to bear. Also, they are made of - if not better, at least more predictably heat-treated - steel. They will digest "hotter" ammo, loaded for the Swedish Mauser, with no real issues, though a steady diet of such would not be recommended. US Krags should be kept at 43K or below - 40K being a prudent choice. They can be safely loaded awfully close to (factory) .308 Winchester performance - no deer could tell the difference.

yes it was, Dick. Thanks

Griff Murphey
05-08-2015, 09:27
Beautiful.

gnoahhh
05-09-2015, 06:55
Every year this time when you guys ramp up the chatter about competing with your Krags and '03s gets mefeeling a bit lonesome! My wretched back and neck precludes any position shooting anymore, or I would be mooching a position on one of your squads! Good luck to y'all!

psteinmayer
05-10-2015, 05:39
So sorry to hear that gnoahhh... I can understand. I don't know how well I'm really going to do this year. Last October, while getting ready to head out to my last match of the year, I fell backwards down the basement stairs and landed on my left shoulder, tearing my rotator cuff and cracking a couple ribs in the process. Now, my shooting positions are quite painful in my left shoulder, and I have trouble getting my arm up in the prone position. I'll keep going as long as I'm able though...

My brother-in-law usually shot with us, but he was in a pretty severe accident in January, and now he's unable to shoot from any position any more either. His back and shoulders are completely screwed, and he may never be able to shoot again.

Fear not, we'll hold the line and keep the enemy at bay for ya!!!

Dan Shapiro
05-10-2015, 12:05
I fell backwards down the basement stairs and landed on my left shoulder, tearing my rotator cuff and cracking a couple ribs in the process.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

After hearing all the horror stories from other cops who's shoulders got messed up, really did not want the operation. Pain got so bad, could only sleep flat on the floor. Got the operation, then 2 months of hell in physical therapy with Brunhilda, who took great delight in stretching my arm back over my head as I lay flat on my back. I think she liked hearing me moan. Finally called the orthopedic surgeon who put me back together twice when I was injured on the job. His advice: "Go swimming". 30 minutes a day for 3 weeks, pain was gone and I could actually sling back up and shoot prone and sitting again.

psteinmayer
05-11-2015, 02:38
Not a bad idea Dan. I'll have to find a pool... but now that I've slimmed down, I should be able to swim much better too!

madsenshooter
05-14-2015, 10:53
Sounds great! Bob and I will check up as it get's closer to July and we'll figure out a muster point so anyone who wants to squad Krags together can meet up.

I already know my muster point, at the gate, Viale Range, and I'm not waiting too long! I may not be the first on the range, but I get the closest parking space the night before!

psteinmayer
05-14-2015, 11:00
Sounds like as good a place as any to muster! My son and I will definitely be there...

Shawn Agne
05-14-2015, 04:49
I'm driving up that morning and driving back after. Living only 2.5 hours away has its perks. For NRA week we stay in the condo's north of the retractable bridge in Port Clinton.

psteinmayer
05-15-2015, 05:31
I live about an hour and a half away (Ann Arbor, MI), but this year, I'm getting a room in Fremont, which is about a ten minute drive. I'll be there for both Saturday and Sunday, so this will make it much easier. I may even check in on Friday night if we can get there early enough on Friday. That way, all we'll have to do on Sat and Sun is show up for Squadding! We'll also get a nice close parking spot, just like Bob.

I'll post a new thread as we get closer to July so we can collect our posse and compile a muster list, LOL

coastie
05-16-2015, 09:28
Dan, early 1990's, messed upped my right shoulder, then, after working for a few months, messed it up worst.
Went in for surgery. 0600 hours, "Count backwards from 100."
"OK, 100, 99, 98........."
1200 hours, goofy, spavined, drooling{?}, My Dad wheels me out in a wheelchair.
Dang they stripped a barbed wire fence and left the barbs in my shoulder!
And the next week, My insurance carrier declared bankruptcy!
Shoulder mostly OK, now-docs say arthritis.

JBMauser
05-25-2015, 06:35
you have gotten my attention. I have 3 Krags, in various configurations. none as nice as your restoration. The last one I got was someone's idea of a hack saw sporter. the barrel was cut to just legal length. Really ugly. it has set in the back of my safe for 3 or 4 years. I was going to buy a barrel from CMP and build it back. Never did. I just pulled it out to consider selling it as a barreled action as a new gun has my attention. I may have to reconsider. who did the stock, boyd?

Shawn Agne
05-26-2015, 08:30
No the stock was from Dunlap Wood Crafters. It requires some fitting and there is the block in the middile that you have to remove and I had to enlarge the grasping grooves but it wasn't that hard to do.

S.B.
06-26-2015, 03:59
Very good job of bringing the old girl back to life, congratulations!
Steve

k arga
07-01-2015, 04:25
Shawn Agne,
when bob hoyt did your reline is there a line about 2.5 inches from the muzzle? he did a carbine 45 70 for me and I don't like the line or understand it.

Dick Hosmer
07-01-2015, 10:28
Wow - that is the ABSOLUTE first negative word - of any sort - that I have EVER heard about Bobby Hoyt's work, period.

Tell us more, please.

His hallmark has always been that you would never know your gun had been touched until you looked down the bore.

Shawn Agne
07-05-2015, 01:11
Nope don't see a line on the barrel on the rifle or the other barrel he did. I checked the barrels on the 3 muskets (16, 55, and 63) and I don't see anything either.

k arga
07-06-2015, 03:15
didn't ask the question to start any problems just wanted to know if that was the norm. Bob may have had a collet slip or something. Will be sending new to me krag to be lined and will make sure there will be no outside marks because outside is nice but bore gone.

Dick Hosmer
07-06-2015, 03:43
Didn't think you did, but I'm really surprised that his final QC check didn't find it. Also, have NO idea why a simple reline would have an external line back on the barrel itself - worst I'd expect (and even that not from him) would be a trace on the muzzle or breech surface at the liner interface. Did you have him stretch the barrel or just reline it? Have you called this to his attention, and what was his response?

13Echo
07-07-2015, 06:20
Great restoration. Since the action was chrome plated I hoped they baked it after plating. One of the problems with chrome plating is "Hydrogen embrittlement" of the steel unless it is properly post treated after plating. I'm not certain how one would check for that.

I also have a really nice Krag with a really rotten bore. I was not aware that it is possible to safely reline a rifle of this power but hot - damn! I can make a shooter out of the old soldier again. Tried to call Mr.Hoyt but the line is always busy. I suspect to be able to get any work done he has to take the phone off the hook. Any suggestions about how to contact him without interrupting his work? Is there a certain time that's best to call?

Jerry Liles

Shawn Agne
07-07-2015, 08:50
Jerry, not sure about the first question. I've shot the rifle and haven't had any issues. As far as contacting Bobby I call either early morning, lunch, or later in the day and I can get a hold of him. I know he does a lot of musket barrels (he's done 3 for me) so he possibly could be at a shoot or something for that too. I found his webpage once I think so maybe there is an email.