PDA

View Full Version : Reference book

jaie5070
05-09-2015, 11:53
I was looking at the books on the CMP web site. Which book would be best for figuring out which parts on a rifle are period correct?
I have an HRA rifle in the 4.6 mil range that I bought from the DCM back in the mid '90s that I have been neglecting. I long ago lost any
paper work that came with the rifle. Can any be replaced?
Thanks, john

05-09-2015, 06:24
If you are only interested in what is correct for your 4.6 HRA then I would skip the book and post a bit more of the serial number. Early production 46600xx through 4670xxx can have a number of SA parts. If you post more of the serial number people on the forum can tell you what would be correct. If you want a book either wait for Wayne Bradford's book to be published or spend a few dollars more and buy Bruce Canfields book "The M1 Garand Rifle".

dave
05-10-2015, 06:30
CMP should be able to replace paper work---back in DCM days you only got a receipt, nothing else. The CMP got fancy with certificates and prices.

jaie5070
05-10-2015, 07:14
The serial number is 4685445. It has a small cartouche on the side and the circle P by the grip. I think it has some SA parts in the trigger assembly.
I need to break it down again. It's been a safe queen for too lomg.
john

John Sukey
05-10-2015, 08:23
I find the issue of which parts are correct rather amusing.
This assumes the rifle was NEVER repaired during it's service life.
The armorer is going to use the next part in the bin to bring the rifle back into service regardless of who made it!

Latigo 1
05-10-2015, 08:53
The armorer is going to use the next part in the bin to bring the rifle back into service regardless of who made it!

I find it amusing that some people have no interest in the manufacturing history of these rifles.

UUURah
05-10-2015, 08:57
I find it amusing that some people have no interest in the manufacturing history of these rifles.

I am interested in the history of all my rifles. But I will not speculate on what part went where on the "midnight shift".

My HRA's all have HRA parts.... when someone picks one up, I can say, they have ALL HRA parts....

Latigo 1
05-10-2015, 11:24
Not all HRA's were manufactured with all HRA parts. Some had WWII SA parts and some even had some WRA parts. Some people are interested in this type history and spent much time and energy doing research. Some people find this amusing I guess and could care less. I appreciate the research that has been done because it gives us a real perspective of what took place in an effort to get quality rifles into the hands of the troops as quickly as possible.

Dan Shapiro
05-10-2015, 11:52
Jake5070:
From Scott Duff's "Serial Numbers and Data Sheets":
This is for Rifle Ser No 4684149

Receiver Drawing No: D - 6528291
No heat lot indicated

Barrel side marking: D6535448 11-53 DS25 P M O

Bolt Drawing No: D6528287 HRA U

Op Rod: 6535382 HRA

Trigger group:
Trigger Housing: 65288290 - HRA N
Trigger Guard: Stamped w/ stamped hook
Hammer: HRA 5546008
Safety: HRA

Bullet Guide: stamped with notch

Gas cylinder lock: High hump
Gas cylinder lock screw: HRA (hexagon)

Front sight: 5/8" wide
Elevation knob: HRA
Windage knob: HRA-W

Stock: 3/8" Defense Acceptance Stamp

HTH

05-10-2015, 06:26

Over 11,000 posts in 6 years and you "find the issue of which parts are correct rather amusing" ? What am I missing here ? The op asked "what parts are period correct". We all are aware that parts are interchangeable and, as far as function is concerned, any part would be "correct". Quite obvious to most, the OP is asking what parts were most likely used during the original production of his rifle.

jaie5070
05-10-2015, 07:24
Thanks for every ones inputs and perspectives. Indeed I am interested in what it was like when it left the factory and how it has survived through the years. I view any non hra parts as part of the rifles history and really don't plan on replacing any parts unless they wear out or happen to be a really good deal. A case in point. I have a winchester US 1917 with nearly
all winchester parts. It has canadian markings and red paint on the stock. In my mind It would detract from its history to change out the non winchester parts. I might feel differently if I was restoring or rebuilding a rare valuable piece.
john