PDA

View Full Version : A couple new-to-me 03 images

Liam
05-16-2015, 06:37
Fort Shafter, HI:

Whole bunch of 03A3s onboard some ship:

Rick the Librarian
05-16-2015, 06:46
The Fort Shafter pictures looks ca. WWI, based on the bright bayonets; look at those RACKS of M1903s in the other picture!! :)

John Beard
05-16-2015, 09:24
The Fort Shafter pictures looks ca. WWI, based on the bright bayonets; look at those RACKS of M1903s in the other picture!! :)

The Fort Shafter rifles have post-WWI straight-profile handguards, and the racks of rifles are M'03-A3's.

Sniffin' the bore cleaner again! :icon_lol:

J.B. :hello:

Dick Hosmer
05-16-2015, 09:33
Could just be me - and I'm no expert on uniforms - but I see a school or similar setting as opposed to "some ship". The guys are awfully young. More than anything else it reminds me of high-school ROTC, except in my case (1952/1955) the rifles would have been M-1s!

Emri
05-18-2015, 05:35
I see a school or similar setting as opposed to "some ship". The guys are awfully young. More than anything else it reminds me of high-school ROTC

That is it exactly. I've never seen a heat radiator on a ship like the one near the floor in that pic. The rack and concrete block wall look just like my ROTC armory in '73, but we had M14's.

Fred
05-18-2015, 06:09
Possibly under a college Stadium like a lot of ROTC arms Rooms.

05-18-2015, 06:45
Lot of 03a3s in those racks for an ROTC program.

Rick the Librarian
05-18-2015, 07:03
The Fort Shafter rifles have post-WWI straight-profile handguards, and the racks of rifles are M'03-A3's.

Sniffin' the bore cleaner again! :icon_lol:

J.B. :hello:

Nag, nag, nag ... :)

Liam
05-18-2015, 08:08
Had to "refind" the pic of 1903A3s. Turns out it is, in fact, Navy bootcamp. See link, scroll approx. halfway down.

http://theleansubmariner.com/2013/03/

Viking Guy
05-18-2015, 09:55
Yes, that is Navy bootcamp in the mid 1970's as shown by the new "Utility" uniform that was to replace the traditional dungarees. The shirt was a pullover and not designed to be tucked in. Horrible construction on the pants...the seams would come unsewn after only a few washings and they were very light weight and would tear and fray. Oddly, all the while this uniform was being issued, the traditional bell bottom dungarees were authorized and sold in the Navy Exchange. Most sailors bore the cost and preferred them to the Utilities. Regarding 03's. Our bootcamp rifles were a mix of 03s and 03A3's during the 70's. None were plugged or welded and were all entirely functional rifles but sadly were only used for drill i.e. manual of arms, etc. When rifles were taken out of bootcamp or how those rifles were disposed of, I don't know. I do remember how heavy an 03 held at high port can become while running around the grinder.

VG

Fred
05-18-2015, 07:55
Lot of 03a3s in those racks for an ROTC program.

THe ROTC arms room at the old Southwest Missouri State Univ. in Springfield, MO had 75 mint 1903A3's in their arms racks in 1977-1981. They replaced the M14's they used to have there.

pmclaine
05-25-2015, 06:51
Yes, that is Navy bootcamp in the mid 1970's as shown by the new "Utility" uniform that was to replace the traditional dungarees. The shirt was a pullover and not designed to be tucked in. Horrible construction on the pants...the seams would come unsewn after only a few washings and they were very light weight and would tear and fray. Oddly, all the while this uniform was being issued, the traditional bell bottom dungarees were authorized and sold in the Navy Exchange. Most sailors bore the cost and preferred them to the Utilities. Regarding 03's. Our bootcamp rifles were a mix of 03s and 03A3's during the 70's. None were plugged or welded and were all entirely functional rifles but sadly were only used for drill i.e. manual of arms, etc. When rifles were taken out of bootcamp or how those rifles were disposed of, I don't know. I do remember how heavy an 03 held at high port can become while running around the grinder.

VG

I wasnt a squid but I often bemoan the Navy abandoning the chambray shirt, blue denims.

Never wore them but they look like a totally appropriate uniform for ship board duty. I assume they were comfortable to work in as long as you didnt get too porky. The dixie cup I could imagine being a problem but worn ala Steve McQueen in Sand Pebbles, chambray, denim and some khaki leggings made for a landing/boarding party that looked ready to fight.

One of the reenactor web sites sells made in USA chambray reproduction WWII shirts. Next time I get an extra $90 I might buy one but that seems a lot for something I want to use as a workshirt.