PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cylinder Finish

Mebailj
05-21-2015, 05:11
I purchased an M1 Garand from an individual a few years ago. He buffed and polished the gas cylinder removing the finish completely. Several companies offer kits to refinish the parkerized color on the cylinder. Which one/or other method is best? I hate to buy another cylinder as this one is in perfect condition, except it looks like it is nickle plated!

Dan Shapiro
05-21-2015, 06:50
Easier still, you can buy a can of flat black engine paint. Spray on, then bake in the oven for about 1/2 hour.

StockDoc
05-21-2015, 08:07
you can also bead blast it, to get rid of the shiny finish, it will also give something for the paint to hold on to

PhillipM
05-21-2015, 09:56
I purchased an M1 Garand from an individual a few years ago. He buffed and polished the gas cylinder removing the finish completely. Several companies offer kits to refinish the parkerized color on the cylinder. Which one/or other method is best? I hate to buy another cylinder as this one is in perfect condition, except it looks like it is nickle plated!

They are impossible to parkerize. I think the black engine paint is a good idea.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/M1G-FAQs/NewCyl1.htm

Orlando
05-22-2015, 03:22
Engine and BBQ paint does not hold up. Send it of the be chemically blackened

Ted Brown
05-22-2015, 11:03
Send it to Randell Stowe. He does the correct oxide finish on SS parts. m1thumb@att.net
Cost is very reasonable.

kcw
05-22-2015, 06:07
I used a high temp paint engine paint, color "Cast Iron" or "New Cast Iron", can't remember which. Then baked it. Came out like the darker gray park. Wish I could recall the maker of the paint, but I bought it in a spray can at one of the national auto parts stores. Looks great with the rifle I put it on. Durable finish.

Jay Johnson
05-22-2015, 09:44
As Ted said above, send it to Randell Stowe to get it chemically blackened, excellent service and very reasonable pricing. Here's one of many M1 and M14 gas cylinders that Randell's done for me,

EDIT: Sorry guys, Randell's one is the darker gas cylinder on the left, I tried to enlarge the photo and posted a different one all together...

Mark in Rochester
05-23-2015, 06:21
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/p_083046801_2.jpg

this will hold up and you can do several gas cylinders for $15.00

Brownells Aerosol Baking Lacquer is an epoxy-enhanced, oven-cured finish that’s sprayed directly on clean, degreased metal with no priming required. Let dry for 10 minutes then bake in a oven for 30-40 minutes at 300°-350° F. You’ll get a flexible, uniform, professional coating that offers exceptional resistance to salt sprays, plus Brownells Aerosol Baking Lacquer is impervious to corrosion, water, sweat, solvents, chemicals, trichlor, and bore cleaners. Highly resistant to nicks, scratches, abrasions and wear marks.

PARK. GRAY AEROSOL BAKING LACQUER
083-046-806WB
Parkerizing Gray

Mfr Part: B5659CT