PDA

View Full Version : Garand--cracked receiver?

Calfed
06-02-2015, 12:03
I'm looking at buying a Garand on line and am a little concerned about this picture

http://i.imgur.com/rvQmH4g.jpg?2

If you follow the oprod track back, past the end, it almost looks like there is a crack in the rear part of the receiver.

Anyone have an opinion on whether that is a crack?

nf1e
06-02-2015, 02:31
I have a few that have tooling marks in that exact area. We need better resolution closer view. There appears to be a vertical crack at the end of the tooling mark I mentioned.

06-02-2015, 04:32
Make sure it can be returned, or get closer pics.

joem
06-02-2015, 06:11
If the price is very, very good I would take a chance on it if it's a USGI receiver. You should be able to find a good condition one at a reasonable price. If it was made by one of the junk gun companies, then the price would be the value of the parts.

Calfed
06-02-2015, 07:47
If the price is very, very good I would take a chance on it if it's a USGI receiver. You should be able to find a good condition one at a reasonable price. If it was made by one of the junk gun companies, then the price would be the value of the parts.

Thanks, guys

It is an H&R in the 5700000 range serial number.

UUURah
06-02-2015, 09:52
There is no way that can be cracked by firing. The OpRod cannot allow the bolt to hit the heel, there have been tests firing a Garand without the back heel, and they functioned.

It probably left the factory that way, and passed inspection. If there is nothing on the INSIDE of the receiver, then FIRE AWAY !!!!!!!!!!

Latigo 1
06-02-2015, 04:01
There is no way that can be cracked by firing. The OpRod cannot allow the bolt to hit the heel, there have been tests firing a Garand without the back heel, and they functioned.

It probably left the factory that way, and passed inspection. If there is nothing on the INSIDE of the receiver, then FIRE AWAY !!!!!!!!!!

The op rod does not stop the bolt. The bolt DOES hit the heel. Due to inertia, the bolt will continue to the rear after the op rod stops against the receiver. Try it. Move the op rod all the way back until it hits the front of the receiver. Then move the bolt all the way back until it hits the back of the receiver. Hold the bolt against the back of the receiver and you will find the op rod will move forward about 1/8" before moving the bolt. That is why it is important to have a good op rod spring. The spring slows the op rod and bolt down and lessens the impact. You are right in the case that the gun will still fire with a broken receiver heel, but in that case the bolt will travel farther and will be stopped by the op rod , not the receiver heel.

nf1e
06-02-2015, 05:00
I was under the impression that on both the M1 and M14 that the bolt is supposed to bounce off the rear of the receiver. There have been a lot of broken heals posted over the years caused by excessive hammering.

psteinmayer
06-03-2015, 04:09
Calfed, I have an H&R in the 5,600,000 range with the exact same thing. It is from manufacture, and in no way compromises the integrity of the receiver. Just as UUURah stated, as long as there are no cracks internally in the heel of the receiver, then bang away... you're fine!

da gimp
06-03-2015, 07:59
I'd pass on it & buy one without it......... who needs to buy one like this, when there are any more without these issues..............