PDA

View Full Version : New hamme question???

bombdog
06-15-2015, 06:25
Just installed a new hammer on alice (1953 IHC)... When i tested it, dry fired, the bolt would get locked up and i couldn't recharge her except by inserting a small screwdriver into the gap in the receiver, manually moving the hammer enough to get it to let the bolt come back... Then i put the old hammer back... Why would a new hammer cause this to happen???
Tango mike for any help...
bombdog, out...

Richard H Brown Jr
06-16-2015, 01:45
Greetings dryheat:

I assume you still have the old hammer and can compare them as to size and dimensions:

a. Italian part
b. NOT a Garand but an M-14 part?
c. Poorly made counterfeit

Any other suggestions out there?

R. Brown

psteinmayer
06-16-2015, 03:54
I agree 100% Richard. It sounds to me like the hammer is not correct for a Garand.

Major Tom
06-16-2015, 05:23
Check to be sure assembly was correct, ie: hammer spring housing.

M1Riflenut
06-16-2015, 05:22
Just installed a new hammer on alice (1953 IHC)... When i tested it, dry fired, the bolt would get locked up and i couldn't recharge her except by inserting a small screwdriver into the gap in the receiver, manually moving the hammer enough to get it to let the bolt come back... Then i put the old hammer back... Why would a new hammer cause this to happen???
Tango mike for any help...
bombdog, out...

Make sure the new hammer is not some cast POS repro. If USGI, check the cam tooth for wear as well as the cam surface of the bolt. If they look ok try polishing the cam tooth on the hammer and put a little grease on it. Sounds like it's binding up in the bolt. I'd also compare it to your old one and see if there is a big difference in the size of the tooth.

bombdog
06-16-2015, 06:00
Yes it is a M14/M1a hammer... The very front of the old 42 SA hammer has a chip off of it... The side by side comparison looks identical to the new one except for that... Also, i looked up the new production hammers offered by Fulton Armory for M1a's and their garands are the same number... i didn't think there was a difference... All i can figure is there was something internally wrong with my bolt... The rifle in question is, as stated before, a 53 IHC with a D652827 HRA .U. bolt...
Hammer is 46(or 8)008-3SA in a D28290-12-SA firing assembly... The stock is a 'Boyds' that i fitted according to Gus Fisher's post on another forum... The new hammer works just fine in the M1a...
Oh yeah, lockup on the firing mech is about half way down the trigger...

Eagerly awaiting input...
bombdog... out, here...

UUURah
06-16-2015, 06:19
Does it function out of the Stock? Boyds Stocks are often not completely finished. Take the receiver out, slide the trigger group back up, and try it.

bombdog
06-16-2015, 07:00
Does it function out of the Stock? Boyds Stocks are often not completely finished. Take the receiver out, slide the trigger group back up, and try it.
i'll try it...
bombdog, out...

Dan Shapiro
06-16-2015, 08:57
One other thought. Take out the trigger pin. Now roll the pin portion that supports the trigger between your thumb and forefinger, does it feel out-of-round (slightly bent)?

bombdog
06-17-2015, 05:43
One other thought. Take out the trigger pin. Now roll the pin portion that supports the trigger between your thumb and forefinger, does it feel out-of-round (slightly bent)?
Checked trigger pin, good to go... Tried dry firing with out the stock, a little wiggle room, but it worked...
New stock???

Dan Shapiro
06-17-2015, 09:17
Can you get someone to post pictures of this hammer? Either it's defective/damaged or a counterfeit repo.

Richard H Brown Jr
06-17-2015, 11:15
"Yes it is a M14/M1a hammer... The very front of the old 42 SA hammer has a chip off of it... "

Uh, WHY? There are enough M-1 original parts ruunning around to where you can get an original IHC garand hammer.

RHB

bombdog
06-19-2015, 04:57
"Yes it is a M14/M1a hammer... The very front of the old 42 SA hammer has a chip off of it... "

Uh, WHY? There are enough M-1 original parts ruunning around to where you can get an original IHC garand hammer.

RHB
Friend of mine gave it to me, it was free, i put the SA hammer back in the SA garand, and the M14 hammer is in the M14....
So i say again, do you think the stock may be to shallow between the receiver and the firing mechanism???
i don't need another hammer, just thought it may come in handy in a pinch...
bombdog, out...

mikebaker1129
06-27-2015, 05:14
Pretty sure you have it figured out . It is your stock.

bombdog
06-29-2015, 06:28
Pretty sure you have it figured out . It is your stock.
Looking for a 53 IHC stock and close as can be handguards now... Uh, and just for shooting, keep the dress she's wearin now...
Thanks gents...
bombdog, out...

Bob S
06-30-2015, 09:45
FWIW ... two of my SECNAV Trophy M1's had M14 hammers; neither had any issues at all.

Respectfully,
Bob S.