PDA

View Full Version : Hodgdon CFE pistol powder?

Rick the Librarian
06-16-2015, 12:18
Has anyone used Hodgdon CFE ("copper fouling eraser") pistol powder? I bought a pound yesterday. It appears it has been out about a year but I haven't heard of it. It was the first pistol powder I had seen in my area in a year or two, so I grabbed a pound.

The advertising says it is supposed to virtually eliminate copper fouling. They also make a version for rifles, as well.

joem
06-16-2015, 01:42
I haven't been looking for powders as I stocked up a few years ago with surplus powder. A few more years and I suppose I might have to buy some.

Rick the Librarian
06-16-2015, 03:29
I've got some too (about a half can of Bullseye and a can and a half of Red Dot), but I can be a real packrat! :)

Dan Shapiro
06-21-2015, 07:20
Last week the stars aligned. Scored 3000 primers, 2 lbs Bullseye, 8 lbs of IMR 4895 and 8 lbs of IMR 4227.

Rick the Librarian
06-21-2015, 07:31
I have had no trouble getting primers, brass and bullets. Powder has been the real bugaboo. The CFE above was the first pistol powder I have seen in two years. Rifle powder has gotten more available, lately, but pistol powder in my neck of the woods, is still rare. Maybe I'm not going to the right places...

Jim in Salt Lake
06-21-2015, 08:52
You definitely have to keep your eyes open. I've used CFE rifle powder. It burns very clean, like Ramshot TAC and other similar powders. I've been using shotgun powder for my pistols because that's what I had. Some are pretty dirty so I might try CFE if a pound pops up,