PDA

View Full Version : Early Follower Assemblies - unusual

CPC
06-17-2015, 08:21
Carrying on the earlier thread regarding early parts, here are 3 early follower assemblies with tails as they are commonly referred to. While they are not real early they all have different characteristics. Note how the tail shapes are different. I do not have my Pyle book in front of me so I cannot recall which came first, the rounded top hats or the more defined square or angled hats. What I'm trying to show here is one that is not covered in a book that I can recall and that is the middle variation with the beveled sides on the center rails. It is seldom discussed as they are not that common and I don't believe it is a referenced variation (?). I'll leave the usage and maker discussion to the gurus but I thought I would post a picture of one while I had the camera out. For those trying to get a whole assemblage of parts here is another to put in your kit bag. Hopefully it will generate some discussion.

Regards,
CC

RCS
06-18-2015, 06:23
Easy way to determine if the early style or as some call them "high hat" followers are either
Winchester or Springfield are as follows:

On the side profile of the follower: the front face

Winchesters are all 90 degrees

Springfield are all numbered rev 1, rev 2 rev 3 and unmarked rev 3 have a 85 degree angle

The Winchester follower is a copy of the unmarked Springfield revision 2 but with a 90 degree front face

Springfield used the 85 degree angle during WW2

The follower with bevels has a 85 degree angle, an original gas trap rifle owned by the US Army and I believe
on display, serial number 4016, has a follower with the bevels 313723137331374

CPC
06-22-2015, 05:32
RCS,
Thanks. So it appears that beveled followet assemblies may be in use during the 4k range. What face are you indicating is different, could you indicate with an arrow? You are not talking about the angle on the slide are you?
Regards