PDA

View Full Version : Stock Re-enforcement pins any tricks

John L. Lucci
06-21-2015, 10:03
Any instructions on how to insert the Stock Re-enforcement pins? Do the pins/bolts bear on the action anywhere? I never have installed any, my background on stocks is more Garand related than 1903. On my current stock the pins look more like finishing nails that bolts..

Kragrifle
06-22-2015, 05:10
Can you show photos? They may be original to the stock.

Dan Shapiro
06-22-2015, 07:56
On my current stock the pins look more like finishing nails that bolts..

At one point 'pins' were in fact used as a reinforcing method. Faster, easier and cheaper than installing reinforcing bolts.

Punch the Clown
06-22-2015, 09:39
Even the bolts I consider pins. Did you ever try to remove them? Ain't happening unless you slice up the stock.

If you are doing an install on an un-drilled stock. get some accurate dimensions as to their location, especially the rear bolt. The wood it is going through is a little more than a sliver.

pmclaine
06-22-2015, 01:49
Didn't 03A3 stocks at one point use brass pins rather than bolts?

Parashooter
06-22-2015, 02:32
The "pins" in question aren't really pins. They're headless screws. Not brass, either - steel (at least the ones I've checked). Only practical way to remove them is with a hollow drill (steel tubing with saw teeth filed on one end). Done correctly, this leaves a hole sized and positioned right to install the common crossbolts.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2j1tzcw.jpg