PDA

View Full Version : Gas Cylinder Refinish

usmc69
06-27-2015, 11:25
What is the best finish to use on a stainless steel gas cylinder when refinishing a Garand in need of a full restoration. Finish was shot and the stock trashed. A friend has reparked all the metal and refinished the stock, but the gas cylinder is being a pain.

StockDoc
06-27-2015, 11:38
I have used two types. Duracote and Rustoleum BBQ black in the spray can. The BBQ works best, quickest to apply, and easiest to touch up. The Duracote, hold up the best, but I have to drag out the spray gun and then clean it. Durcote takes 1hr to apply, BBQ black 5 mins. Hope that helps. The BBQ black can also be dried in an oven for a harder finish @200 deg for 2-3 hrs

cplnorton
06-27-2015, 12:12
I use this. But you can only do this if you have a sandblaster. But you spray it with parts cleaner to get the grease off, sandblast it, and just dip it in a container of this stuff for like 5 minutes.

After I refinish one, if I throw it in a pile of other nice gas cylinders, I cannot tell which one I re-finished.

http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/stainless-steel-blackener.html

mac1911
06-27-2015, 12:32
I use this. But you can only do this if you have a sandblaster. But you spray it with parts cleaner to get the grease off, sandblast it, and just dip it in a container of this stuff for like 5 minutes.

After I refinish one, if I throw it in a pile of other nice gas cylinders, I cannot tell which one I re-finished.

http://www.caswellplating.com/metal-finishing-solutions/stainless-steel-blackener.html

Do not get the gel. I did mine with farewells stainless black gel. It took several attempts to get it looking nice only to loose the finish after the first match.
There are a few people who still refinish the gas cylinders with the proper stuff. I think CMP offers a refinish or a swap?

cplnorton
06-27-2015, 12:33
yeah I don't use the gel. It just looks like a blue cool aid and just dunk it. With a piece of fishing line tied to it to pull it out.

Sunray
06-29-2015, 11:17
Mine took parkerizing with no fuss. 1944 manufacture rifle. Came out a light grey. Professional metal finishers.

Latigo 1
06-29-2015, 12:03
Mine took parkerizing with no fuss. 1944 manufacture rifle. Came out a light grey. Professional metal finishers.
Then yours is not a USGI cylinder. USGI cylinders are made of stainless steel. Stainless steel can not be parkerized, even by a professional metal finisher. If it could, all the Garand manufacturers would have been doing it instead of experimenting for years to come up with a satisfactory finish, and in the meantime using paint to darken them.

Dan Shapiro
06-29-2015, 03:10
BBQ paint or hi-temp engine painnt works well. Fast and inexpensive.