PDA

View Full Version : Kracked Lugs?

Mark Daiute
07-13-2015, 08:40
Anyone ever come across a cracked lug on a bolt?

I contend that the likelihood of finding one is nigh on to nill.

They cracked in service. While in service they were fixed as was the load that did the deed.

Since that happened we have a greater variety of powders that push bullets faster and gentler and commercial loads have always been within pressures that our Krags can withstand, thus my contention. This does not rule out the odd handloader that over does it.

So: who among us has ever encountered a cracked lug on a bolt?

Thanks,

Mark

psteinmayer
07-13-2015, 05:35
I ain't seen one yet...

11mm
07-13-2015, 07:50
I've probably had 25 Krags, and a dozen spare bolts, and I've never found a cracked bolt. I even have done some primitive dye penetrant testing and saw no cracks.

Kragrifle
07-14-2015, 05:16
I have seen one Krag bolt with a cracked lug.

Mark Daiute
07-14-2015, 06:48
I have seen one Krag bolt with a cracked lug.

Thanks Kragrifle for getting back on this and thanks to the others that responded as well.

Kragrifle, still have the bolt? have photos to share? would love to see it.

Thanks again,

Mark

bobgar
07-14-2015, 07:24
I have owned many Krags and have not seen one.

Dick Hosmer
07-14-2015, 07:26
I have owned many Krags and have not seen one.

+1

Stephan
07-14-2015, 07:40
There are photos online of cracked Krag bolts...and seems I saw a bit of a tutorial with pics about the phenomenon....

I imagine simple attrition has taken care of most cracked Krag bolts these days. Busted bolts either replaced or rifle scrapped/retired/parted-out. Not too many Krag rifles seeing service in this century anyhow.

An old 1960's 'Shooter's Bible' I own has an article about sporterizing old military rifles....warns to inspect Krag bolt-lugs/lug and modest loads. It's a real issue(like low-number M1903 receivers). My take on the deal is that modest ammo is the ticket for Krag bolt longevity. The Army's experiments with hotter ammo back in the day..plus the use of 'Grandpa's whammy shell' .30-40 reloads in civilian service ever since have caused bolts to crack on occasion. Something a Krag owner that shoots his Krag should keep an eye on.

butlersrangers
07-14-2015, 08:04
I've seen one, from a friend's early Krag, that was updated to model 1896 changes, and in 'excellent' condition.

The 'fault' was a very subtle straight line crack at the rear of the lug, where it joins the bolt-body. (It almost appeared 'machined'). My friend discovered it while cleaning, after shooting U.S. factory loads. It likely was 'cracked' before his firing the rifle, but, had gone unnoticed.

He was able to get a correct 'mint' replacement bolt for about $60 and has had no further problems.

Mark Daiute
07-14-2015, 09:08
so far that makes two that forum members have seen in person, and that is, in a sense, quite a few.

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

Stephan
07-14-2015, 02:34
here's some busted Krag bolts...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?199833-What-a-cracked-Krag-Bolt-Looks-Like

psteinmayer
07-14-2015, 02:44
Fortunately, the Krag is well designed with two safety lugs (the bolt handle and bolt rib) which are more than capable of handling the bolt should you crack the lug. Sticking to safe loads below max should ensure one never has to worry about it.

madsenshooter
07-14-2015, 03:35
I have a 92 receiver that is cracked, pretty much a mirror image of what is seen in the bolt pics linked to above.

kragluver
07-14-2015, 07:49
The cracked lug issues in the Krag were associated with inconsistent metallurgy couple with widely varying peak pressures associated with the early smokeless powders. The problem manifested when they attempted the 2200 fps cartridge with the 220 gr bullet.

Kragrifle
07-15-2015, 05:09
No. The bolt belonged to a friend who has long since passed.

meterman
07-15-2015, 06:23
There is one on display at our Legion post with a cracked bolt. 1898, rifle version.

us019255
07-15-2015, 09:02
"...e Krag were associated with inconsistent metallurgy couple with widely varying peak pressures associated wit..."

My father in law, who died ~30 yrs ago, was a competitive Krag shooter in the 1930's, He had a Krag bolt crack (I don't know what ammo). Being a tool maker and gunsmith he took the bolt to the University of Minnesota engineering school. A kind professor checked and his report was bad metallurgy. Using his advice my father in law then made a bolt which he used for years. I'm sure that it cost Minneapolis Honeywell Regulator Company many dollars for his time.
As a side, when he married he took a honeymoon to Alaska. Loved it and decided to get a grub stake together move there and open a machine shop for fishing boats and a gunsmith business. Unfortunately, this was 1939 and the war prevented this. He was not drafted and spent the war on an essential job toolmaking for Honeywell defense contracts so he did his part/

kragluver
07-15-2015, 10:09
Interesting story.

In the ordnance reports discussing the lug cracking issue they describe some rifles standing up to many thousands of 2200 fps test rounds and others that cracked or encountered excess headspace right away. Very similar problem as the early 03 s had (same processes and same steel alloy).

madsenshooter
07-15-2015, 11:24
Like I said on the KCA forum, I think the fit of the locking lug in the recess sometimes played a role in determining whether or not a bolt cracked with the added pressure. I know that's not the only factor, just another one of the variables.

Ned Butts
07-16-2015, 06:36
I know I have somewhere, came out of a sporter that was probably over loaded. Pictures when I dig it out

sdkrag
07-18-2015, 09:18
I've encountered a couple in 35 years of Krag trading. I think I still have one around somewhere. Bought the rifle that way so I have no idea of the history.