PDA

View Full Version : Legal Question

mr.j
07-24-2015, 05:51
I'm ALmost sure I know answer but would like to confirm, Is it illegal to posses 1903 safety switches in my home? I know certain parts are illegal to have if you don't have A FFL but would 1903 safety switches fall under that category? Any help with this would be appreciated thanks.

Clark Howard
07-24-2015, 06:13
Unless you include your location, we cannot offer an answer to your question. For most of the United States, 1903 safeties are legal to own. Regards, Clark

robh5
07-24-2015, 06:18
I'm ALmost sure I know answer but would like to confirm, Is it illegal to posses 1903 safety switches in my home? I know certain parts are illegal to have if you don't have A FFL but would 1903 safety switches fall under that category? Any help with this would be appreciated thanks.
Just curious, what's a 1903 safety switch? Thanks.

mr.j
07-24-2015, 06:37
Ok I get it now. If I lived In the United States it will be no problem for me to own them but if I live in another country such as N.Y.C or L.A. than it would be illegal to own,,

mr.j
07-24-2015, 06:43
It is a part that locks the gun so it can Not fire a projectile, Maybe i'm using the wrong term safety switch safety lock?

Tuna
07-24-2015, 09:03
To own a safety by itself is not prohibited anywhere in the USA. It's not a receiver, barrel or trigger housing. A small part for a bolt action is not a problem for you. Most people won't even know what it is looking at it.

dave
07-24-2015, 09:26
The only gun parts that are "illegal" versus 'regulated' would be parts to make a gun full auto. I know of no state where it is 'illegal' to own gun parts, except those I mentioned. Not sure about CA. NY or some of those other states that outlaw a class of weapons, then the receivers of those may be.

Chaz
07-24-2015, 09:42
Even here in CA, one legally can own as many complete M1903s as one wishes. Therefore parts are not a concern. Just don't die in a parked car and have the polizei discover them in your home!

Sunray
07-24-2015, 10:24
Why would you think the safety lock or its assembly for a bolt action rifle might be illegal to possess?
An FFL doesn't allow you to own anything that is not legal to own in your State either.

swampyankee
07-25-2015, 01:19
The safety switch for 1903 springfield is highly illegal. You should take that part an turn it in to the police for registration. They will probably confiscate it for your own safety.Make sure you don't tell them about the upper barrel band for the 1903 as that is the part with the bayonet lug. Lots of scary parts on that gun. Be safe.

Doug Douglass
07-26-2015, 06:59
The safety switch for 1903 springfield is highly illegal. You should take that part an turn it in to the police for registration. They will probably confiscate it for your own safety.Make sure you don't tell them about the upper barrel band for the 1903 as that is the part with the bayonet lug. Lots of scary parts on that gun. Be safe.

Be careful with the jokes someone is going to believe it!!!

Motorcop
07-26-2015, 07:11
It's not a matter of being a joke, it's the day and age we live in that one can't always be sure what is legal and what isn't. Sad commentary.

Rick H.

bd1
07-27-2015, 05:10
Careful. Don't give BO's BATE or DOJ any new ideas.

mr.j
08-16-2015, 07:18
For those that want to know why im asking I did have a handful confiscated from me by the NYPD and threatened that they will be used against me in the court of law if I do not go along with the program. I wanted to laugh at them and explain to them the law but they are not the brightest people around and sickeningly dumb if you ask me. I was also worried if they told me that what else are they capable of doing as their stupidity seems to have no limit. I did not question in fear of them putting something in my home that would really get me in trouble so i just let them think they had something big. They did enter my home claiming to look for a family member of mine which is still unclear of why but apparently they had the right to enter my home. Talk about breaking constitutional rights, Thanks Bloomberg (former mayor of NYC)

louis
08-16-2015, 01:03
Mr j. I understand your problem. I left the northeast during the early 80's. I'm so happy not living there. Having lived in Texas and now in Florida for 28 years. I've seen changes here. Too many liberal New Yorkers think they know better than everyone. They say we should be like New York with their gun laws!! If I where you I'd leave New York. I don't understand why anyone would stay there. Or why any group doesn't challenge Bloomberg's unconstitutional laws.

Phil McGrath
08-16-2015, 02:13
For those that want to know why im asking I did have a handful confiscated from me by the NYPD and threatened that they will be used against me in the court of law if I do not go along with the program. I wanted to laugh at them and explain to them the law but they are not the brightest people around and sickeningly dumb if you ask me. I was also worried if they told me that what else are they capable of doing as their stupidity seems to have no limit. I did not question in fear of them putting something in my home that would really get me in trouble so i just let them think they had something big. They did enter my home claiming to look for a family member of mine which is still unclear of why but apparently they had the right to enter my home. Talk about breaking constitutional rights, Thanks Bloomberg (former mayor of NYC)

I'm sorry, I would have pushed the issue back on them very hard and then later sued.... Seems the only lessons they really learn or care about are the one that hit them in the wallet.

Kurt
08-16-2015, 10:41
Over my dead body would anyone pull that on me.

StockDoc
08-16-2015, 11:46
Mr J, you need a lawyer. Did they give you a receipt for your property, if not it will be a he said they said issue, also the property is probably destroyed by now. You also need to get a referal to a firearm specific attorney in your area.

Ifn you have guns and a relative who is on parole or probation, you have a problem, warrant are not needed for the search of the house/ Don't let a relative give your address for anything.

StockDoc
08-16-2015, 11:47
Mr J, you need a lawyer. Did they give you a receipt for your property, if not it will be a he said they said issue, also the property is probably destroyed by now. You also need to get a referal to a firearm specific attorney in your area.

Ifn you have guns and a relative who is on parole or probation, you have a problem, warrant are not needed for the search of the house/ Don't let a relative give your address for anything.

Kurt, It might have come to your dead body. or end up in jail

13Echo
08-17-2015, 04:48
In some states were the mere possession of a fired casing, or, horrors, a loaded cartridge can get you arrested I'd be worried about what the "legally constituted authorities" might think about any part of any firearm. I can see them taking it as evidence of possibly possessing other, perhaps, illegal parts or firearms and deciding to search your home.

louis
08-17-2015, 07:04
Like I said you're living in a police state. Time to move.

Kurt
08-17-2015, 11:52
Kurt, It might have come to your dead body. or end up in jail

Stockdoc, That certainly is possible. I suppose the comment you are responding to does sound a bit red neck, for lack of a better word, but forget the lawyer route. That costs money and will get you zip.

I'm 63 years old and frankly, I've had a damn good life all things considered so I suppose I'm at a stage where I'm willing to take actions someone with a career etc. is not willing to do. I keep nothing illegal in my home so I'm standing on pretty firm ground should something like the OP's problem show up on my door step. Yes, I may get arrested for not co operating but on the same token I'm not giving them anything to use such as an assault charge. My first action would be to call 911 and tell them I'm being robbed by some people dressed in police uniforms. I would give them my address, tell them that they are stealing GUN parts and in general dramatize the hell out of the situation.
911 calls are recorded so there would be a record of what was happening for later use.

I refuse to live in fear and that's exactly what these tactics being used today are intended to do. If you stand up to the IRS, they are gonna get you. If you stand up to the Police they are gonna get you?.

The bottom line is if you don't stand up, then yes, they will get you! Your call.

Dick Hosmer
08-23-2015, 09:58
In some states were the mere possession of a fired casing, or, horrors, a loaded cartridge can get you arrested I'd be worried about what the "legally constituted authorities" might think about any part of any firearm. I can see them taking it as evidence of possibly possessing other, perhaps, illegal parts or firearms and deciding to search your home.

In what State(s) is mere possession of a fired case - absent any other circumstances - cause for being arrested? I know things are really bad, but that seems a bit over the top.

Fred
08-23-2015, 11:44
Ill bet its in New Joisey

Embalmer
08-23-2015, 12:55
In what State(s) is mere possession of a fired case - absent any other circumstances - cause for being arrested? I know things are really bad, but that seems a bit over the top.

Without a ltc, or fid card, it's illegal in mass to be in possession of a spent case

Dick Hosmer
08-23-2015, 01:03
Without a ltc, or fid card, it's illegal in mass to be in possession of a spent case

Good Lord, what a crock of crap. And in the cradle of our liberty, too.

IditarodJoe
08-23-2015, 01:07
Massachusetts. Reported in the papers a couple years back when the cops went after some kids who had been collecting spent brass from rifle salutes that were part of a Memorial Day event.

GBA
08-25-2015, 02:08
Actually I think that DC (the municipality thereof) is the worst. Take a look at this story.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/06/dc-police-can-arrest-tourists-with-empty-bullet-casings/